Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/1/2002 6:45:35 PM EDT
Hello all,
This is my first posting here, I usually stay on The Firing Line.  This seems to be loaction to find out about AR-15's, so I hope that you can help me.  
I'm a police officer at a small department.  We currently own a dozen Colt semi-auto 9mm AR-15's(16" bl. LEO versions) that we have been using as patrol rifles.  I've made a proposal to get rid of the 9mm's and adopt the Colt .223 M4 configuration. My proposal has been accepted.    
Now, I'm not interested in the M4 controversy, or 9mm versus .223.  That decision is made.   My question is concerning disposing of the 9mm carbines.  They'll be offered to the individual officers at a descent price, but I know that we'll have a lot of them remaining to dispose of.  I told my supervisor that I would do what it takes to move the 9mm's, including parting them out if necessary.  Can I get some ideas of the going rate for the following Colt items:
Complete(including bolt) 9mm 16" upper
Complete lower receiver parts
Complete collapsable buttstock
That would leave us sitting on some LEO marked lower receivers with little value, but would give us some funds towards the purchase of the M4's.  Of cours, all parts are in pre-ban configurations.  The weapons were all bought from 5 months ago-3years ago(mine was issued new in April).  I would estimate their conditions as very good to excellent.
Any information is appreciated,
Responses can be sent to [email protected]
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, don't take this as gospal...

I think that 9mm uppers (Colt), pre ban (I think) can go 600-700 new.  So used, being Colt and pre ban.... maybe 450-500.

Parts kits are going 40-60 new.  Used.... hard saying.  Semi parts I guess.

But stocks go for about 60-70 new.  Used, 50-ish....

Those are just guestimations...
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 2:07:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Kaliburz,
(and all others who've responded so far),
Thanks for the info.  I was expecting to get more out of the 9mm carbine parts.  I too thought the new Colt 9mm uppers sold for about $700.  I wasn't sure if they came with the bolt assembly, since a lot of the .223 versions don't.  I wasn't sure about the other parts.  My proposal estimated that we could pay for the new LEO M4's by parting out the 9mm's on the civilian market.  If not, we have to wait for the new budget year in July.  I was hoping to have this deal wrapped up by Febuary 1st.  
Wish me luck,
Buzz
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 2:44:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I think that you can get more money. We traded our highly used Colt 9mm subguns one for one for new M4 carbines in a similar deal just a few months ago. Colt apparently hasn't been selling the 9mm parts. If you have any preban magazines, that can also help.

IM me if you want the contact info for the dealer who helped us out.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 3:01:14 AM EDT
[#4]
If you do part out the guns and have LEO marked lowers that you can't move contact me as I may have some Law Enforcement buyers.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 3:56:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Natez,
That's interesting.  I hadn't heard that Colt had stopped selling 9mm parts(I know that it is sometimes difficult to obtain their LEO M4's without a 1-2 month wait).  Were your 9mm subguns LEO or the older transferable versions?  I hope they weren't the older transferable samples(not LEO agency restricted) that are so valuable.  If they were LEO then I would think they would be LESS desirable than our semi-auto carbines or parts.  
As for our mags, they're the standard LEO marked 20 and 32 rounders.  
I may get back with you for your dealer contact if our current deal falls through.  Right now we hope to do business with a local dealer who has been good about providing T&E weapons to us.
I think all of the Colt distributors have the same basic pricing plan on LEO M-4's.

ProfGab101,
I may need to contact you concerning the LEO receivers if we part the guns out.  We'll see how it goes.  I know we will hold them until we can sell them to LEO's or a dealer that will guarantee that they will only be sold to a LEO.  I know it's supposed to be an ATF grey area for a civilian to possess a LEO receiver, but we don't want any part of it.
Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming..
Buzz
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 9:48:13 AM EDT
[#6]
These were Post-86 SMGs and were not available for transfer to anyone other than dealers. We actually kept the stripped lowers, for rebuild into functional weapons, because we have a host of surplus M16 parts.

The deal was everything from the SMG, minus the stripped lower, for 1 M4A1 carbine, brand-new and drop shipped from Colt to us. In this case, the parts were more valuable than the weapon.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top