Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/1/2002 11:29:38 AM EDT
Before i sink close to a grand on something i like to be informed first, call me crazy.  so...

I think I've decided on a bushmaster xm-15 A2 20" ES2  first off.  Though after reading the forums I may look at Rock River Arms.

I've heard these have significant weight as opposed to a shorty, just how prevalent is this difference?

Does anybody have any experience with the places in which im thinking of buying it from?
    www.impactguns.com = $799.99
    www.thegunsource.com = $794.73
    www.discountfirearms.com = $680.00

What accessories do you deem to be imperative?

What clip manufacturers are the best? I know i've bought mini-14 clips in the past that jammed every other round.

Any other help topics that I would have asked about had I more background with the AR-15...

Appreciate any help, wish I already had the damn thing.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 11:55:36 AM EDT
[#1]
First off, ALL 20-inch barreled rifles will weigh more than any shorty, simply because of the added barrel length.
Second; the best [b]MAGAZINES[/b] to get are USGI (military issue).
Third; don't you EVER compare a mini-14 to an AR15 again, damnit. [;)]
The only "imperative" accessories to me are a sling, [b]MAGAZINES[/b], and ammo......mass quanities of ammo, but......once you've got it, you'll get the "customizing bug" in a big way.
As far as help goes, just cruise the different boards, and almost all of the time, you'll find an answer before you even know what you want to ask. Enjoy the rifle!!!
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#2]
TexRdnec, Bushmaster is a great choice, they are top quality weapons and the 20" is great. The great thing about AR15's is that if you want a shorty later on just get a shorty upper and pop it on your lower, this can be done with any upper configuration you like. The wieght of an HBAR 20" is not that bad, but many people are getting the barrel cut down to military diameter under the handguards to save weight and keep the longer range/velocity of the 20" barrel. As for magazines, buy USGI and you can't go wrong. There are several USGI mfgs a few of them are Sanchez, Colt, OKAY, Parsons, Adventure Line. Try the [url=http://ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=7]Equipment Exchange[/url] for some good deals on USGI magazines. Good luck with your new rifle.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 1:32:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Does anybody have any experience with the places in which im thinking of buying it from?
    www.impactguns.com
    www.thegunsource.com
    www.discountfirearms.com
View Quote

I'm currently purchasing an AR-15 through Impact.  Their layaway plan is nice for a bigger purchase like a preban.  I have no complaints and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.  I've seen a few others on the forum say good things as well.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 10:43:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a govt profile barrel.

Get a flat top.

Get a new trigger.

Get M193 spec ammo.

Get USGI mags.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 12:04:36 PM EDT
[#5]
i have an xm15e2s bushmaster 20" and an m4 entry tactical by rock river....both are great guns...they bushy is considerably heavier with the 20" heavy barrel...the rock river is much lighter with the 16" m4 barrel...not a big difference in accuracy from what ive seen...depends on what you like..i do like the rock's two stage trigger a little better than the bushmasters...but both have been awsome [8d]
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 12:20:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I ordered a Bushy 16" A2 from Impact last week and it is due to arrive at my FFL Tuesday.  So far I have absolutely no probelms with Impact.  They seem to have very good customer service and decent prices.  I remember seeing their 20" A2's on sale for $750 not too long ago so if you are interested in ordering from them you might give them a call first and see if they are planning on dropping the price again any time soon.

I don't know if you're still debating what length AR you want or not, but all I can say is that the hbar 20" Bushy's are freak'n heavy...I'd recommend you go to your local dealer and handle several different AR setup and compare the differences in weight for yourself.  I had originally planned on getting a 20" A2, but after spending some time handling both the 16" and 20" A2's I found that I really didn't like the extra heft of the 20" AR.

-David
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 3:24:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd second the recommendation for AIM Surplus. I do C&R business with them and have always been very happy.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 4:12:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Get mags, not  clips !
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top