Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/30/2002 7:06:52 PM EDT
For what reason is a stock Bushmaster XM-15 E2S so damn heavy?
I mean really, whats the deal with the weight?
Is it like a Post-ban PC thing? (jk)
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 7:35:37 PM EDT
[#1]
What is the barrel profile like under the handguards?  I think my Oly PCR-02 had a .920" dia under there.  I picked up a Colt 16" lightweight barrel cheap on Ebay and replaced the original one.  The rifle now weighs about 2 pounds less!
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 7:43:41 PM EDT
[#2]
It is because all of Bushmaster rifles, except their Post ban M4 are shipped with a Heavy Barrel. Take off the handguards and notice how thick the Barrel is. You can either replace the barrel or send it to someone like Kurt and have it turned down to Govt. profile.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 8:32:07 AM EDT
[#3]
how difficult a task is it to change out barrels?

lemme guess, you need some special ar-15 barrel changer tool, right?
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 10:05:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Why would you want to replace the heavy barrel on a standard AR?
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 12:48:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
how difficult a task is it to change out barrels?

lemme guess, you need some special ar-15 barrel changer tool, right?
View Quote

It's probably not a good idea to change it yourself, too many things need to be perfect, barrel torque, sight alignment and such. It's a job that is better left to your gunsmith/armor. and yes, you do need an AR15 barrel wrench and some kind of vice helps a lot. It would definatly be cheaper (after you buy the barrel and pay the gunsmith) to just have someone like Kurt from KKF turn down the barrel to Govt. Profile. Hope this helps.

Wipeout
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 5:51:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Or, you could just buy the M4A3 and save yourself all the trouble.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 6:13:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

It'll take more heat (constant fire) to make barrel hot and bend. Why really worry about it? I always thought it was kind of silly to have a barrel OD of 1" at the chamber, the .625" down the middle, then .750" out front. Wheres the structural rigidity?
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 11:25:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

It'll take more heat (constant fire) to make barrel hot and bend. Why really worry about it? I always thought it was kind of silly to have a barrel OD of 1" at the chamber, the .625" down the middle, then .750" out front. Wheres the structural rigidity?
View Quote

Why worry about it? because it's a heavy bastard. I love AR-15\M-16 rifles to death, but the stock bushy XM15-E2S is without a doubt the heaviest damn rifle I've held to date. Granted I havent held all too many rifles other than ones I've shot, shoot, and own.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top