Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2002 8:50:39 AM EDT
I don't know if this is an old topic or not.  Can anyone clue me in about a three round burst fitting for an AR. I saw one at a local gun show. I know military rifles are a three round burst (right?).  Does it require a special license? Is it hard to hook up? Expensive? Stupid?  
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 9:38:24 AM EDT
[#1]
very illegal. don't even think about it. There are very few legal registered recievers out there that are selling for about $9,000.

Karl
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 9:48:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.  

Why is it that those with very few posts always ask how they can make their rifles go full auto?
I think some would call it trolling.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 10:31:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Move this to LEGAL, and lock this.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 11:01:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 11:31:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Take it easy on him. I made the mistake of asking a similar queston when I was new to AR's and this board. I beleive it is a simple case of not knowing and asking before making a mistake. I clearly remember a number of years ago seeing ads for 3 round burst conversions in some sort of gun magazine. It was a publication that my Jr. high school actually ordered each year for the library. Can you imagine the outrage Liberals would have now if ANY school had such a magazine available?? Well i turned out just fine with the exception of being OBSESSED with ARFcom and AR's. Well In guess I could be worse off than just keeping myself broke on guns.
R2K-Out
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 12:15:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Why is this question a surprise as you can purchase a 3 round burst kit at almost any gun show.Yes I know they are not legal to own for most but they are legal to sell.Now go figure.It is easy to see how someone would ask this question.My question is why can the parts be sold but it is a felony if you have them in your posession?
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 2:09:23 PM EDT
[#7]
You can buy all the burst kits you want, just can't have them in your home if you own and keep an ar15 in the same home.

[-=(_)=-]
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#8]
If you have a legal, registered receiver M16 or legal converted AR, it is about $50 worth of part that any competent AR armorer can install in 5 minutes or less.

Of course, the registered receiver will set you back $4-6K, if it is legal to own machineguns in your locale.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 3:28:30 PM EDT
[#9]
The 3rd burst feature is actaully a 3rd MISS at anything over pistol range.  It may look cool but is totally useless except at very close range.  Dont waste your time doing something that is so illegal for so little of value.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 5:19:09 PM EDT
[#10]
the instructions for the burst in the army manual make it seem like a big pain in the ass. keep yankin' that handle...
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got the USMC manual on the M16, and to me, the 3-shot-burst seems like a useless feature. Does it have any real-world value? And since it's a gear, that doesn't re-set itself, it seems like you could get 1,2, or 3 shots from it, depending on when you released the trigger the first time. Is it just me, or is this feature useless?
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Seems to me that if you need a three-round burst, you should be able to finger it off, especially with a low-recoil rifle like an AR. But I'm sure full auto would be helpful, in certian situations.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#13]
With the very low amount of recoil produced by the .223, the 3 round burst is excellent out to about a 150 yards. It is definately a tool for CQB. Opposed to full auto which will empty your 30 round mag in about 3 seconds.
As the close ranges, imagine hitting someone in the lower chest with the first round. The slight amount of recoil will drive the barrel upwards slightly as each additional shot is fired. You end up with 3 bullet holes relatively close together. This causes massive damage to the body.
The three rounds are fired off VERY fast, it isn't like a 1919 low cyclic rate machine gun. Depending on the rifle (the kind of buffer, weight of carrier, gas tube, lubricant, barrel length, ammo used, spring weight, auto sear delay, firing pin weight, ect.), it may only take a quarter second for all three rounds to be fired.
Full auto would really jack someone up, but the controlability goes down, and you use a lot more ammo on one target. Full auto is excellent for suppression fire or shooting into heavy brush (just like in Vietnam spray & pray).
There are trigger setups which give you SAFE, SEMI, BURST & AUTO. That way you could have the best of both worlds.
All features have their uses, not all are for shooting at paper. If I had the money, I'd do the 4 position system.
I find it interesting that any "newbie" who asks questions is a troll. Jesus, Not everyone is a self proclaimed know-it-all.
-Steve
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Im going to ask a follow up question.What you guys are saying is its illegal to have in your posesion any of the full auto parts to any type of weapon? Weather it be a AR or AK ? Im talking about someone that dont have the proper papers to have a full auto. WD.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 10:15:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Wardawg,
Thanks to the ignorant and gutless wonders the sheep keep electing to office...

Posession of parts to convert,or originally designed to be specificly used in a full auto firearm,while in the "Proximity" of a similar but NOT full auto firearm,constitutes the "Posession" of a full auto(NFA Restricted) firearm by definition of the Federal courts.

Long story short.
If you have a mil. "Style" firearm and have ANY full auto parts for it's Military bretheren,you legally own a full auto firearm and are subject to all sorts of ugly due process for tax evasion and worse.

It's better to get caught with a stolen Caddy while drunk,in the presence of a known Terrorist,in addition to the 5 kilos of hash in the trunk.

It ain't right,it makes no sense,and simple lumps of stamped metal never killed anyone,but it dosn't matter.Somehow posession of machined parts NOT assembled became proof of intent.

Another reason to despise Liberals,democrats,and ignorant reactionary peaceniks.

Dude,ya hit a nerve....sorry for the rant.

All the best to you.
S-28

Link Posted: 11/30/2002 11:05:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Lets please try and not to get off into a tangent about how and why 3 round burst is usefull or useless. Guy asked a question and it appears to have been answered. I agree 100% with Troy in that too many people dont know whats legal or not to be hitting the troll alarm so quickly.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 12:45:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Keep in mind there are actually a LOT of registered receivers out there.  Anywehre from $5k to $10K+.

Many states allow you to own one.  There is a process of paperwork, finger printing and waiting for BATF approval to get one.  90+ days is not unusual once paperwork is submitted.

mark
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 6:05:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Actually the paper work for the Class 3 stuff is quite painless.  The biggest hurdle is the 90 day+ wait they have for your weapon.
It would kill me to know that i have a 5K+ rifle sitting at a dealer for 3 months.
I have seen a couple of RR guns the past few months and they have been going from between
6-7K. Been seriously thinking about gettig one as an invesstment actually.

The Class 3 Machine gun world is very self policing also. Someone who has machine guns does not want their multi-thousand dollar investment ruined by some basement machinist with a mill who wants to make a few extra bucks selling DIAS
kits at gun shows.

Move to a state where they are legal and save your money and buy one. They are ALOT of fun!

KyARGuy

Link Posted: 12/1/2002 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Trolling? What exactly is that. Throlling for a responce, perhaps? Attention? You have got to be kidding, oh its ok I guess people do that. No I didnt think it was "Full Auto" I thought it was something else.  Alittle jaded, perhaps?
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks,  Sorry for the STUPID!!!! question. I was under the impression that part of the purpose for creating this sight was to help spread knowledge and understanding of the topic at hand.  If this is not the case even to a minimal extent, please let me know.  I have no interest in join a click of anykind.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 10:52:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Our government...you have to love it.

You can buy all the three round burst conversion kits you have the $$ for, but you can't install them in an AR without the proper parerwork and $$.

You can buy all the freebasing pipes you want at "head shops" all over this land, but dont get caught with any rock.

You can buy all the bongs you want as long as you're going to use them for smoking tobacco. YEAH RIGHT.

Rolling papers??? When's the last time you saw somebody twist up their own cigarette?

Cars are the same way, you can get hundreds if not thousands of parts for your street rod, but once you get them on your car the cops will be all over ya. And rightfully so in most cases.

I just dont get it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top