Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2002 9:20:01 AM EDT
My Bushy Shorty 16" is brand spankin' new and I want to customize her a bit... so how about a more comfortable grip?

Link Posted: 11/28/2002 9:47:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Lots of choices, I have tried several. My favorites were the Houge Grip and the Ergo Grip.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 10:01:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I am in agreement with new-arguy as far as the Egro grip is concern, but my other recommandation would have to be the Duck bill grip.  

The Egro grip has to be the ambi style, any other way it just get in the way of weak hand shooting.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 10:45:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the Hogue. It feels great and has a pebble-textured rubber surface which keeps your hand from slipping when wet or sweaty. They are also relatively inexpensive and can be found for under $20...[url]www.getgrip.com[/url]
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got the Hogue on all my ARs.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 11:47:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Cool, thanks for all the replies thus far. In looking at the Hogue, I noticed they have a free-float forearm. What are the advantages of free-floating? Just heat dissapation?
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 11:53:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Purely hearsay, but the Hogue free float tube is supposed to be particularily heavy.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 11:54:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Not trying to be funny but comfort like beauty is the eye of the beholder. The guys here mentioned great grips but you'll need to try them for yourself to see what feels best.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 12:01:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not trying to be funny but comfort like beauty is the eye of the beholder. The guys here mentioned great grips but you'll need to try them for yourself to see what feels best.
View Quote
This is an excellent point.  Shooters come in all shapes and sizes, and thus, will react differently to different grips.  The best thing is to try the options, and then decide.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 11:18:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Free floating handguards increase accuracy by improving barrel harmonics and not allowing for arm mounted objects, sling tension etc throw off the POI.  The Houge forearm would increase heat.  A FF fore arm like the FF RAS or SIR would reduce heat.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 2:05:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree with DevL about the Hogue h.g.---mine seems to get real warm, real fast. The pistol grip has a great feel, IMO. I even e-mailed Hogue to see if ther were any plans to make them for other rifles(FAL,AK).....nope.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I prefer the Pachmyer one.  Secure grip, even when wet.  Plenty comfy, and it moves your hand back about 1/2" which really improves the trigger reach.  The standard AR15 grip was designed for girly-hands!
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I use the Hogue on my Bushmaster. Looks and feels fine!
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 6:06:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I like the Houge, comes stock on RRA.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 6:14:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I've currently got hogues on my AR's but am expecting a "Battlegrip" from tangodownllc.com to arrive this week! I'm really looking forward to trying it out.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 6:43:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Had an Ergo on my "shorty" PWA/Colt 16" M4.

Sold it off, as it causes a cant.

The A2 grip that came on my Colt R6601 is nicer than the one that came on my Bushmaster, or with parts kits.

I plan to replace my other 2 A2 grips with take off Colt's.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 8:33:20 AM EDT
[#16]
I bought and installed a Hogue this weekend... man it has a nice feel. Much better than the standard A2 grip, and the pebble grip element is superb!
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 10:33:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I love my houge grips. However on the AR I've noticed that the finger slots are designed for someone with big hands. I can still use it fine though.

JIM
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 3:11:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I put Bushmaster's HK-91 style grip on my shorty and it's MUCH better than the original. I like it because it's harder plastic than Hogues and doesn't have finger grips. Looks good too.

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/buttstocks/arg02.asp
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 9:20:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Does any one have the BATTLEGRIP??? It's $29.95. Is there a cheaper price on the net?

BATTLEGRIP has the ability to internally store two Aimpoint-type batteries IN ADDITION to two AA or 123 series Lithium batteries all in a water, dust and rattle-proof cavity sealed by an easy to access cover.

http://www.tangodownllc.com/product/index.shtml
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 10:51:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I cant believe I am going to say this in public but I really like the ramline grip.  It is the only product that they have ever made that I like.  There mags are crap but there grips rock.
Could be that it reminds me of my paintball guns.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 4:32:52 AM EDT
[#21]
:(

Just got my battlegrip yesterday.

It kind of sucks...it's way too small for my hand and didn't fit my receiver well at all(Every other grip I've tried fits great).

I had to give it a couple taps with a hammer to get it seated properly before tightening the screw down and when tightened it didn't line up with the back of the receiver.

Oh well...it was a great idea for a grip. How about a Hogue grip with the battery compartments?!!! I'd buy that in a second.

I'll probably trade the battlegrip for something at the shop this weekend. They love new gadgets down there.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 5:41:01 AM EDT
[#22]
[url]http://www.ergogrips.net/~shines/ar15.html[/url]

I'm planning on one of these for my current build project.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 2:49:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Sorry you didn't like the BATTLEGRIP. Return to us for a prompt full refund. We strive to make the finest components available, and if you are disappointed we'll return your payment. The grip was designed to accomodate a really wide range of hands, and is larger than an A2 grip. If your hands are unusually large, we suggest placing a 2 inch long section of rubber innertube on the grip to help. The fit issue has us baffled. BATTLEGRIP was engineered from current M16 blueprints and fits every type of AR-15 lower receiver we could source. If it's Mil-spec, BATTLEGRIP will fit. What mfg. of lower receiver do you have? We suggest you measure the width of your mounting lug, it should measure no wider than .375. If it does, your receiver is oversize. Let us know what your receiver does measure and we will send you a grip custom made for your rifle, no charge, if you prefer that route. TangoDown LLC guarantees customer satisfaction.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Sorry for the poor review.....It's weird that it didn't fit right on my lower...Every other grip I've tried worked fine...And I've tried hogues, ergo-grips, and several target grips with no problem.

I tried it on another one of my lowers and it was much better.

Strange though...anyhow...better for it to be too tight than too loose.

I think it's a great idea...and can't fault the design of the storage compartment at all.

I posted rather hastily because I had been really excited to get it and was bummed when it didn't work right off the bat.

So....it doesn't suck at all....just didn't fit the first AR I tried it on well.

It fit fine on a DPMS lower and another bushy lower I had.

Again, I apologize for the hasty post....was just disappointed.

I do appreciate that you are coming out with new innovative AR products and hope that you will keep up the good work.

As far as hand size.....It seems to fit my wife perfectly..so I won't be getting rid of it after all. It's going to stay on her bushy.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 4:04:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I have the Hogue grip, and like it real well.
It is under 15.00 at Midway;
http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/645828

If you live close by, I need another one, wanna split an order, and split shipping?

Rancid Lance
in Michigan
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 11:19:38 PM EDT
[#26]
ARMRER, thanks for replying on this board. The BATTLEGRIP's price of $29.95 is a bit high compared to the competition in my opinion. I think people on this board would buy if you start a group buy in the Equipment Exchange on this board.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 1:48:35 PM EDT
[#27]
$29.95 is suggested retail. There are many dealers selling BATTLEGRIP for less, we would be happy to recommend one to you. This IS the finest grip made, and really has no competition. Its shape is the result of exhaustive 3-D modeling from voluminous ergonomic studies. It is combat ready. It is made of proprietary super high impact Nylon with 30% glass fill that has a tensile strength of 3800 psi. 95% of all aftermarket grips are made of polypropylene..same stuff as pop bottle lids..weak..cheap.. that is slippery when handled with sweaty hands. BATTLEGRIP does not need exaggerated checkering, etc. to overcome this. When was the last time someone complained about H&K grip texture? BATTLEGRIP has exact same features. The battery storage ability speaks for itself, and is U.S.Patent Pending. All components are made in USA, and are top quality. What other grip includes stainless-steel pre-LocTited fastener, sealing washer and installation wrench? OR a life-time guarantee? When you break it down, BATTLEGRIP is loaded with value. Any other questions, please FEEL FREE to email us directly at:  [email protected] and we will be happy to respond. Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 10:16:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Armrer, I would like to buy a battlegrip. Please post a list of your dealers. Please post urls of your dealers.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 10:35:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Ditto to nonbox's request.

I'm ready to buy a BattleGrip, but the price is a little steep. Point me toward a lower price and I will buy one tomorrow!

Link Posted: 12/10/2002 11:31:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Gentlemen,
East Coasters can contact John Carney at [email protected]  Try him for a group buy and tell him the manufacturer will support him.
Thank you for your interest in BATTLEGRIP. You will find this to be the finest combat grip available for the AR-15/M16. We guarantee it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 2:04:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 6:12:43 PM EDT
[#32]
I tried the Ergo and did not like it.  I was hoping to get more trigger reach and something that would fit my big hands better.  But although the Ergo is longer, it is also thinner, resulting in little change.  I sold it a gentleman on this board; I hope he enjoys it, but it was not for me.

I have not tried anything else.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 6:01:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 10:08:06 AM EDT
[#34]
I like the Sierra SPR grip. I have them on both my ARs as well as the rite pull that moves the grip back 3/4 inch. I have big hands and this setup works good for me. You can find them at sinclairintl.com. Merlin
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#35]
As far as hand size.....It seems to fit my wife perfectly..so I won't be getting rid of it after all. It's going to stay on her bushy.
View Quote

Ok, sorry but I read this and was wondering if anyone else had a laugh! LOL
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 5:33:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 5:43:49 PM EDT
[#37]
I also didn't like the stock grip. I bought the "ergo-grip" but found it to thin at the back. I got the "sierra spr" grip from Sinclair and love it! Fits my hand just right. Check it out...
[url]http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=HEARGR&item=14-350&type=store[/url]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top