Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/23/2002 5:57:23 PM EDT
The one with the attached will cost $700.00 plus S&H.

The A3 removable will cost &770.00 plus S&H.

98 % of my shooting will be personal pleasure plinking at various targets between 25 and 100 yards.

I would appreciate some opinions on what would be your choice.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#1]
The idea of the A3 is that, since the handle is removable, an inline scope or pointing device can be mounted on the top of the rifle via the weaver mount or other. A lot of folks like them for their versatility, like me. I have always liked the carry handle, but I like the versatility of being able to remove it to add a scope.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 6:37:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Get fixed, Works all the time. Works in rain, batteries dont die, Doesnt cost 400 dollars. You eyes work great.
GG
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#3]

I also had the same dilemma, really didn't think I would want or need to remove the handle, I was going to plink no more than a 100m. But when I went to purchase the rifle all they had was the a3 & with that money burning a hole in my pocket so I paid the extra $$. And for me I like the removable handle, ended up throwing a Nikon monarch scope on it and it just adds a new dimension too shooting, also went on a friends ranch and it was a blast shooting rabbits(overkill) at 100+yards.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 7:13:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all

I can already feel a little 1.5 to 4.5 Bushnell Banner scope itching to go on her.

My next question is if you can get an Armalite for about the same money would you still go with the Bushmaster?
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Get the removable.If you get the fixed that's what you'll always have---a fixed.If you want to put optics on it take off the handle.If you don't want optics put the handle on.Simple.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 8:39:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
...if you [could] get an Armalite for about the same money, would you still go with the Bushmaster?
View Quote

Yep. Bushmaster rocks.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 8:42:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I would go with the A3 removable.  Options are a good thing.  And as far as Bushy vs. Armalite, I would say it's a toss up.  I have both and love both.  Armalite is usually a little more expensive, but not much.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 6:03:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Blue, I had the same dilemma when I bought my Bushmaster XM15 E2S A3 NM 24" Hbar. I opted for the A3 so in the future I can add a nice sized scope, without losing the ease of getting a nice cheek weld to the stock. A larger scope on the carry handle would have required a Cheekpiece to get the same feel. It's just nice to have the extra option available. I hope you enjoy what you choose!
"Popeye"
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 9:25:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I went for the A3 in a 20" Bushmaster.  So I say, "Yes", get the A3, and "Yes", go for the Bushmaster.   [^]
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Armalite and Bushmaster are equally high quality and both chrome line their barrels.  However, the current true Armalite flattop models do not have a front sight or removable carry handle, they are now making their rifles with the weaver gas block and ship a picatinny scope mount with them.

I guess what I'm saying is, check the Armalite that the dealer is selling for about the same price.  If the receiver says "Eagle Arms a division of Armalite" (or something similar), then the rifle will not have the chrome lined barrel and should actually sell for about $75 to $100 less than the Bushy.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 9:48:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Assuming that this is your 1st AR, I'd suggest the A2 for:

Simplicity
Durability
Repeatability

Also:

The ability to mount optics on a forward mount, and for some setups, this is a better option than the flat-top mount.

The possibility of the eventual urge to match yourself against other shooters in Service Rifle competiton.  You'll be unable to compete with an A3.  On the other hand, you may decide to buy a NM upper for this reason?

The tendency for people to neglect gaining a proficiency with the iron sights if they've got the option to use a scope.  

I dunno, up to you, but I tend to think that unless someone is building a devoted varmint rifle, or unless they are one of the groupies who wish to look like active duty servicemen, that they ought to start with the A2 upper.

Link Posted: 11/24/2002 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#12]
If you get the flat top, buy it without the removable carry handle. The opening is much too narrow for any but the most petite hands.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 10:08:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I think it depends on WHAT scope you are planning to use. If you are using an ACOG or similar short scope, the carry handle is best. If you are planning on using a longer target/hunting style scope, then I would go with the flat-top. Don't forget the detachable carry handle sights only range to 600 yds. instead of the standard issue 800 yards. I have a couple of each flat and standard and actually prefer the standard.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 10:12:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My next question is if you can get an Armalite for about the same money would you still go with the Bushmaster?
View Quote

Sorry, I didn't see this question.

My answer is no.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 10:17:10 AM EDT
[#15]

My first (and as yet only) AR is an A2 model. I second IMHO's opinion that simplicity and proficiency with iron sights is a good reason to start with a fixed carry handle weapon. On the other hand, my next AR will be a flatop so that I can mount a comfortable scope to it.

Nostalgia also led me to start with an A2 model; they did not have the A3 when I was in the service.

Which ever version you choose for your first AR (because it probably won't be your last), it will be a fun weapon to tinker with and to shoot, so be safe and have fun!

Panzer Out

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top