Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/22/2002 6:14:23 AM EDT

ok i was wondering a couple of things about my AR.

first, how do i dissassemble the bolt/bolt carrier assembly?

second, when should i?

do i need to remove the bolt from the carrier for periodic cleaning?

Link Posted: 11/22/2002 6:21:49 AM EDT
[#1]
1. Pull the retention pin out (#2) (located about 1/2 down the bolt). It holds the firing pin in.
2. Drop the firing pin out (#1).
3. Push the bolt back into the carrier (#4).
4. Rotate the rectangle bolt holder (cam pin #3)) 90 degrees and pull out.
5. Pull the bolt (#4) forward to remove.

You should clean the bolt after each trip to the range. Clean completely and reassemble after putting a drop of oil on the gas rings.

You probably won't need to take the bolt apart any farther than that.

Good Luck and Have fun. [:)]

[img]http://www.shooterstore.com/dpmsinc/images/boltcarrierassy2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 6:24:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Pull the firing pin retaining pin out of the side of the bolt carrier.  The head of the pin is recessed in a dished-out area on the side of the bolt carrier.  Pull the firing pin out of the bolt carrier.  Rotate the cam pin 90 degrees so that it clears the carrier gas key.  Pull the cam pin straight out from the bolt carrier.  Pull the bolt forward out of the bolt carrier.  There will be some resistance due to the gas rings when you do this.  It is a good idea to disassemble the bolt for cleaning every few hundred rounds.  You really need to get a operator's manual try this spot:

http://old.ar15.com/books/TM9-1005-319-10.pdf
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 7:16:15 AM EDT
[#3]

thanks dudes.

that is helpful stuff.

i love this place. :)

-SPaceman

Link Posted: 11/22/2002 9:09:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Operators Manual:

[url]http://old.ar15.com/books/TM9-1005-319-10.pdf[/url]

It's a PDF file so you need Adobe Acrobat reader.

Download it. Read it. Learn it. Apply it.

Don't forget to put the cam pin back in or the rifle will explode in your face.

You WILL read it now, won't you? [;D]

(P.S. that link to the old forum is dead. Maybe Goatboy is in the process of moving the old files to this board.)

SpacemanSpiff, if you want the Operators Manual, email or IM me and I'll email it to you. It's a 3Mb file so your ISP may or may not allow attachments that big.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 12:30:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link is working as of 16:20 EST
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 12:37:00 PM EDT
[#6]
You need to take the extractor off of the bolt in order to clean it and the bolt properly. Using the tip of the firing pin push the pivot pin out. If it doesn't want to go gently apply pressue to the extractor over the pin with your thumb in an "on and off" manner. It should push out enough for you to grab and pull out completely with your fingers.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top