Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/19/2002 3:29:05 PM EDT
Hi folks,

Just wondering what the pros and cons of bull barrels might be...

I'm trying to research AR-15's so I can find the right one for me.

Here's one I found on the DPMS site, http://www.shooterstore.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=90&Product_ID=5289&CATID=493

The price looks good, but I still have no idea what kind of barrel I want.

Fluted? Standard? Bull?

Do I want a muzzle break?  Does a muzzle break function as a flash suppressor?  If not, can you have both on the same barrel?

I hear muzzle breaks make a gun seem alot louder because of the displacement of sound, but are important in reducing recoil and barrel rise...how much of a difference does a muzzle break make?

Does a bull barrel reduce rise at all?  It looks heavier, but maybe that wouldn't really be a factor effecting barrel rise.

Thanks,
E
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 5:06:44 AM EDT
[#1]
ok maybe these werent good questions.

anyone tell me anything about the bull barrel at least? or hook me up with a link where I can read more about it?

thanks,

E
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 5:54:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Hi Quii,

I'll take a stab at it with my $.02. I'm not sure if you are planning to get a 16" or 20", but:

1.) Bull barrels (or HBAR's, if that's what you meant) are heavier, but don't heat up as fast as "thinner" profile barrels. They will help offset muzzle climb. Though, others will tell you that you will regret it if your intent is "tactical work" or hauling it around all day. In that case, I'd agree and go with a standard weight barrel or M4 (my personal preference is HBAR's).

2.) Fluting will shave some of the weight off, but I, personally, don't care for it, except for under-the-handguards. Under the handguards would be sufficient to help with weight and added cooling. Full-length fluting messes up the smooth barrel lines and makes more sharp edges for the finish to wear off of (only my personal preference boys). Kurt's Kustom Firearms does the under-the-handguards fluting for $50.00.

3.)Muzzle brakes...they are loud. And ugly for that matter. AR-15's just don't have much, if any, recoil. So, a muzzle brake is a waste of time and money. The weight of the HBAR barrel will help with the muzzle climb. If you want something on the end of a post-ban barrel to give it a "pre-ban or finished look", check out the fake flash hiders on Kurt's site.

4.) No experience with DPMS rifles, but I'd recommend Bushmaster. They have good prices and excellent quality. They also have the barrel fluting (full-length only) feature for $50.00 and a selection of muzzle brakes (wouldn't recommend them though). Also check out Rock River Arms. I hear they have some nice, quality items too.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your project.

john3:16

Here's the links to those sites:

www.bushmaster.com

www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/page/page/8932.htm

www.rockriverarms.com
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 6:01:14 AM EDT
[#3]
hey thanks for the info john, i really appreciate it!

E
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 6:02:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a DPMS sweet 16 with the ss bull barrel.  I love it.  It jumps less than my buddies' Bushie with the muzzle break (which is damn loud).  

The advantage of the stainless bull barrel by DPMS is accuracy.  The disadvantage is weight.

Also, the stainless barrels supposidly do not last as long as the chrome lined barrels, though there is some argument that this is due to the use of heavier rounds in the ss barrels.  

The military currently uses ss bull barrels on their SPR rifles (a designated marksman rifle, which uses an M16 lower), and chrome lined lighter barrels on the M4.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top