Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/18/2002 5:27:14 AM EDT
I'm thinking about getting a Bushmaster lower and a upper in 7.62x39 at the next Knob Creek get together.  Can anyone give me some feedback on this idea?  Pro or con, thanks.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 9:52:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Hey Flat....

Here's the deal on the 7.62 upper concept. I took my Oly Arms PCR-4 lower and put a 20" post ban DPMS upper assembly from Del-Ton.com on it, and it worked freakin fantastic!! I wanted a little more punch for hunting in the scrub forests of Wisconsin (as a .223 deflects pretty easy in the scrub), so I dumped my old SKS and went this route.

With Federal ammo, it shoots 1.5 moa at 100 yards. With handloads that my buddy makes, it shoots .75 to 1" at 100.Can't complain with that.

If you are a 50 rd in the clip kinda guy, you're gonna have problems!! I am using just the USGI stock .223 mags and load around 6 shells without a problem. Other guys have posted that there are hi cap mags available, but I have no first hand knowledge of them.

Right now I have over 500 rounds through it and it has not failed once!(I like to make sure a rifle is broken in before I depend on it.) I chose Del-ton for the only reason that they had it in stock!! Oly Arms was out 8-10 weeks and local DPMS guys didn't have any either.

All in all...GREAT setup of you don't mind 6-10 in a usgi clip. I don't mind so all is well.

I would definitely recommend this setup for the hunter who likes the ar-15 feel, but either can't or won't use a .223 on whitetail.

This setup has 5 deer to it's claim this year already...none of which moved from the spot they were standing in.

Good luck to ya.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 5:15:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one from model "1" sales. It functions just fine with brass case ammo an is a lot more accurate than my ak. It is just as much fun to shoot as a 223
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 5:34:14 AM EDT
[#3]

I've put about 3K thru my upper, two broken bolts. It's nice on a plate gun, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 8:29:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've put about 3K thru my upper, two broken bolts. It's nice on a plate gun, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

Here, here! I wouldnt want to bet my life on it just because the ballistics of this round are so boring. I'll take whatever I can get, but I'd rarely choose the 7.62x39 when I have a 5.56 in front of me.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top