Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2002 8:03:54 AM EDT
Hey Guys, I went shooting the other day with a friend who brought another guy with him. This guy had an AR-15 that he says was a post ban gun. It was a Colt and it had the carbine length barrel and hand guards. It also had a flash hider and a full length non-collapsible rear stock. I asked both of these guys if the gun was pre-ban, they said no, they could tell because the gun was missing the bayonet lug. I am not so sure, can you guys help?
Thanks and take care,
Mark
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 8:08:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Flash hider would make it an illegal post-ban. Are you sure it was a flash hider? perhaps a muzzle break that is designed to look like one?
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 9:05:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Not having a bayonet lug means absolutely nothing in regards to a Colt rifle being a preban or not. Colt made lots of rifles prior to Sept 1994 without the bayonet lug. Probably conforming to political correctness. These rifles, as long as they have a pistol grip and a flash suppressor are considered grandfathered assault weapons.
In the past 2 years I bought 2 preban Colt rifles from gunstores in my area because they too thought a rifle without a bayo lug wasn't preban and both were bought for less than $800. Both of the ones I bought were as you described, carbines with f/s no bayo lug Sporter Lightweight models.

Only way to know for sure is to contact Colt and ask. If you call customer service they will tell you.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top