Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/13/2002 8:09:33 AM EDT
I am looking to do something with the mini-Y on my Bushmaster M4A2.  Which aftermarket muzzle brakes does the group recommend as a replacement?
MG
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 10:13:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Kurt Kustom have a faithful copy of the A2 muzzle brake that will enhance your looks.  the cost is around a hundred bucks for him to install it on your barrelled upper.   if you have the 14.5 inch barrel then it might be a little too short for that.  you will have to look a getting like a OPS brake, which is a very close copy of the OPS military brake used on the spec op SPR.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 10:44:28 AM EDT
[#2]
i just had the y comp on my m4a3 replaced with kurts A3 tak break. it only took about a month to do it. It was shipped off to me this monday, i cant wait till i get it. I wonder how long is going to take to get here?
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 11:12:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I also replaced my brake (AK type) with a KKF A3 'tac' brake - LOVE IT!

Mark159:  Kurt should have sent you a UPS tracking code.  Go to their website under 'tracking' and enter the code - it will give an estimated delivery day and tell you were the package currently is.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 4:31:10 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Kurt's Kustom Firearms put an A3 brake on my Bushy Mini-Y comp rifle, it looks great.  Cost a little over $100 and was worth every cent.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#6]
What would you say are the advantages of the KKF A3 TacBrake over the Mini Y-Comp?  I mean aside from the reduction in muzzle blast (blows the contact lenses off my eyeballs) and cosmetics?

E-95
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 7:10:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What would you say are the advantages of the KKF A3 TacBrake over the Mini Y-Comp?  I mean aside from the reduction in muzzle blast (blows the contact lenses off my eyeballs) and cosmetics?

E-95
View Quote

What do you mean what else besides [b]Reduction in Muzzle Blast[/b] and [b]Cosmetics[/b]

What else to you want?  Want it to cook your eggs or something?

It will reduce the length of the 14.5" M4 barrel to just over 16" (compared to the 14.5" + AK brake being around 17" - but you mentioned Mini-Y and I don't have the length for that combo handy).
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 7:39:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

E-95
View Quote

What do you mean what else besides [b]Reduction in Muzzle Blast[/b] and [b]Cosmetics[/b]

What else to you want?  Want it to cook your eggs or something?

It will reduce the length of the 14.5" M4 barrel to just over 16" (compared to the 14.5" + AK brake being around 17" - but you mentioned Mini-Y and I don't have the length for that combo handy).
View Quote

Believe me, that muzzle blast drives me crazy and I'm getting rid of the damn Mini-Y but are there any other advantages of the A3 brake?  I'm actually trying to figure out where to place it on my priority list.
By the way, if you know of a good brake that can cook eggs over easy let me know.  [;)]

E-95
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 7:51:04 AM EDT
[#9]
The AK brake will make them scrambled - but I couldn't teach it over-easy.  That's Ok I prefer scrambled anyway. [;)]

The two things listed are the only two advantages of that brake over the Mini-Y.  Blast being the primary.

Like I said if you have an AK brake you get a about a 1" reduction in barrel length - IIRC the Mini-Y Comp isn't as long as the AK brake so you won't see that advantage.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 7:54:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Bushmaster 14.5 inch with a Mini-Y comp attached. Makes it exactly 16 inches.

Mini-Y is a great attention getter. But you almost [i]have[/i] to wear hearing protection, or temporary loss of hearing is inevitable.

It's great, when I'm training people to shoot (I have my own school, Coffee Creek Ranch Tactical) who have never shot before, and I let them shoot my Bushy, and it throws their hair back. It's funny. I make them wear eye protection so they don't develop a flinch.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the info Forest.  That's what I kinda suspected but just wanted to confirm.  Which means unless I find a brake that can make eggs the way I like them it'll stay down at the bottom of my list (after ACOG, LAM, etc.).

E-95
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 10:00:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I had Kurt put a KKF A3 Tac Brake on my Colt 14.5" M4 Upper. The noise is nowhere near as bad a the Mini-Y and without slots on the bottom of the comp, you don't have any dirt blowing up in the prone position. KKF does a fine job on these.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top