Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/12/2002 12:36:30 PM EDT
Who does sear block removals on Colts? My local gunsmith is a moron.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 9:31:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Kurt at Kurt's Kustom Firarms does searblock removals.  Check him out in the Industry Forum.

Quoted:
You will have difficulty getting anyone to do this for you.
Although there is no requirement for the sear block(thanks colt), and it is not illegal to remove it(I think!?!?!?), it's obvious this is the first step in making an illegal conversion.  They don't want a visit from the alphabet guys in the near future, asking what they knew and when they knew it.  It could be argued you two "conspired" to make a machine gun.  That starts RICO, and other silly things.  Without even going full auto, they could invent many charges worth hundreds of years each.  Hello, Club-Fed.
I suggest you go to where you bought your DIAS and ask them to do it or to recommend someone. And ask them to give a reference for you.  You did buy a DIAS or similar, right?  You do have some legitimate reason to do this, right?
SHBAB
(Should Have Bought A Bushmaster)

There is nothing illegal here.  I removed two sear blocks to facilitate refinishing two Colt lowers.  You cannot reanodize a lower with a sear block.  Colt will not do a refinish job if the lower has a searblock.  Also, you also cannot use a 9mm upper without at least cutting off the top of the searblock or removing it altogether.  I could probably think of a few more reasons but I am tired.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 1:52:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm kicking myself daily over the Bushmaster  shoulda, coulda, woulda's. But, I have no intention of making a full-auto weapon. I do have two good reasons for needing to get it out:

1. SAWLESALES can't refinish a Colt lower receiver if it has one.
2. I want to put in a trigger upgrade (two-stage, adjustable). Can't do this because there's no room.

Thanks for the tip. I was going to have KKF do some barrel work anyway. I wasn't sure if he did this also. As for the fear factor...when did we wake up in 1939 Germany? You keep your records in order and operate inside of THE LAW, and they can't do a thing to you. My local gunsmith (we only have one-what a shame) also refused to make a pre-ban upper into a post-ban for a buddy of mine. He can't give you a valid reason for why or show you where it says he can't. Just says he can't. How lame is that. He'll never see a dime of my money (he's also a dealer). Probably would have botched the job anyway.

Link Posted: 11/15/2002 1:36:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Frank White of Compass Lake Engineering will take it off.  While you're at it, have him put his 2 stage trigger in.  It's the best, IMO.

Regards,

Merlin
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top