Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2002 5:24:40 AM EDT
Just got my new lower, a forged DPMS, and got a pretty good deal on it. I have decided that I am going to go with a Dissipator-style upper. I plan to go with an A2 style upper. I need to know which barrel I should go with (heavy or light?). Is the lighter barrel worth the 1lb. weight saving? Are there other drawbacks I should know about? Also, I really like the Dissipator look when it has a brake. I am leaning toward the Wilson Combat brake, but am looking for suggestions. Any help that could be offered would be most appreciated!!! Thanks!!!!
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 6:25:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Wilson Arms brake on one of my rifles and like it. Most of the other A2 style brakes look so similar that it really doesn't matter which one you choose.
I would look for quality/price, and which one the person installing the brake prefers to work with.

As far as the barrel weight goes just try to be realistic on what your expectations from the rifle are. If you are going to be carrying it all day as a soldier would then the 1lb certainly makes a difference. But, if you're more likely to shoot it only at the range and do most of your shooting from the bench then the extra weight of the heavy barrel is no big deal.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 6:59:11 AM EDT
[#2]
The Bushmaster M4 Light weight Dissy barrel is a mythical beast and somewhat hard to find, Bushmaster keeps pics of it up on their website, but when you call and try to buy one, they tell you that it will be 18 weeks MAYBE, that is if we ever get anymore, the M4 dissy barrel is pretty low on their priority list of things to do right now. I finaly just gave it up rather than send them my money for a barrel that might be delivered at some future time MAYBE. I went with a nice Rock River Arms A4 Mid-lenght And have been really happy with it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 7:18:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Get Kurt from KKF in the industry forum to turn the heavy barrel to a lightweight and add one of his excellent A2 muzzle brakes on.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top