User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2002 9:37:34 AM EDT
?
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#1]
You might as well ask why some people like the appearance of a certain type of car and not another.  If you don't get it, you simply DON'T.  Functionality-wise, I prefer the 14.5" and 16" barrels to the 11.5's of the CAR-15, though.  The CAR's barrel is just too darn SHORT!
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 9:49:00 AM EDT
[#2]
hey, if we can afford it, why the fuck not?
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#3]
... Best keep your questions regarding the M4 to yourself or you might get banned here!
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 9:52:31 AM EDT
[#4]
The M4 is the newest latest greatest high sped low drag blah blah blah....

I think most gunowners have thick skins, but take cheap shots towards their weapons like shots at their kids.

I have a few ARs, one of which is set up with a M4 Bushie upper (14.5").  Why the M4 for me?  I teach CQB and patrol rifle classes and feel that in many cases it takes a certain weapon to do a certain job.  In the case of clearing buildings and vehicles, the shorter barrel is well worth the trade offf in velocity.  My guys are all shoting well under 25 yards in most shootings, so the loss of velocity isn't an issue.  Being able to be mobile and accurate is an issue.

Pinned stocks, fake flash hiders, M203 mounts, and attaching stuff that will never get used (but looks cool) is what makes some people happy.  If it makes them happy, good for them, I would rather see money spent on weapons then on drugs, alcohol or restitution for beating the wife!!  To each their own, I don't own any postban weapons, but don't like the look of them.  If I did buy a postban, it would be headed to KKF for something to protect the barrel and make it look decent.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 9:58:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Lay off the M4 barrels. There is nothing phony about them. An M4 barrel with whatever attached is still an M4 barrel.

*drool car-15*
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Buy whatever the hell you want.  Just as some guys buy a Ford or Chevy, one guy will buy a Ford Expedition and the other guy will buy a Corvette.

We should not worry what others like.  We should worry about what we like.

I have had both a preban and postban.  It's a matter of personal preference.

max
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 9:58:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I prefer the look of the 16" M4 Bushmaster barrel myself. More velocity than a 14.5" and looks just as good. As for a FH, I don't care for one.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 10:05:39 AM EDT
[#8]
It is coveted by FAT wannabees!
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It is coveted by FAT wannabees!

And what are the skinny wannabe's coveting these days?

Bradd
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 10:41:14 AM EDT
[#10]
SIG 552's :)
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#11]
It's just another AR to own.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Because it's one I don't have

W
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#13]

I like my M4A3 because it is light and compact. And my telestock works...
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 11:13:18 AM EDT
[#14]
M4 Madness nice rifle.

How do you like the phantom flash hider?

max
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 11:38:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Pretty simple,

The reason I bought mine is because thats the one I wanted,  
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 11:57:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Because the guys at my militia meetings will think I'm cool....

Bradd
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Why are people SO obsessed with the M4?

Because it's soooooo cuuuuute!

Actually, what I like about them is the amount of versatility and firepower in such a compact, lightweight size.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 12:31:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
... Best keep your questions regarding the M4 to yourself or you might get banned here!

Yeah, I agree. Impose the ban. Bet he doesn't even have an AR, much less an M-Forgery. LOL!

Seriously, go shoot a carbine, you'll love it, and if you own AR's you must have many versions for your collection.

I'm off to work on my SPR!

Link Posted: 11/10/2002 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#19]
It just looks so damn good thats why !!  

(like the little kid in the Dell commercial says:)
SWEEEEEEEEEET

SaFe ShOoTiNg
Jerry
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 3:11:30 PM EDT
[#20]
M4Madness, I really want to buy or build a M4 like yours. It looks spectacular.

Please give us the specs on your M4? What brand is it? What brand is the upper, lower, stock? What's the barrel length?
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 4:59:47 AM EDT
[#21]
I have the same mindset as Stickman. I use the M4/HKG36KE for their shorter barrels and better handling for CQB and while on Patrol. I rather have a longer barrel rifle such as an M1A/HKG3 when in the Helo. In short, I use what works best in the environment I will be in.

The Military is usually the first to prove the reliability of a new weapon system. It's not wanting to look like them but more so use the equipment that was proven to work by them. We like to stay near the top of the tech ladder to keep a tactical advantage. Looking cool is a moot factor.....unless you really screw up, then looking cool is all you have left.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 6:12:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Form AND function. I like the look of the M4. Ok, I'll openly admit it, there's that 'oooohhh...Special Forces' factor to it, but throw an aimpoint on there and it looks a lot cooler than a standard 20" AR. Then there is the form itself...it's just a heck of a lot easier to haul around the M4 than a fullsized AR. Also easier to manouver in tight spaces.

Function....yeah, the 16" barrel isn't going to do dime sized at 300+ yrds....but what the hell do I care. 90% of my shooting is at an indoor range that doesn't go beyond 40 yards. That negates a lot of the benefit of going with the longer barrel. Of course, now that I'm going to a 200 yard range, I'll just HAVE to pick up a 20"......why stop at just one AR?
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 6:49:21 AM EDT
[#23]

because they are cool, and by cool I mean like totally sweet.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 7:40:46 AM EDT
[#24]
ACOG NSN is designed to be used with a 14.5" barrel.  M4 barrels work, they function.

Those fake telestock, on the other hand....
....remind me of those fake convertible tops you'd find on a pimp-mobile.

Link Posted: 11/11/2002 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

because they are cool, and by cool I mean like totally sweet.

and it scares the hell out of the mailman.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I agree. Impose the ban. Bet he doesn't even have an AR, much less an M-Forgery. LOL!

Seriously, go shoot a carbine, you'll love it, and if you own AR's you must have many versions for your collection.

I'm off to work on my SPR!

"Why are people so obsessed with SPR's??"

ROTFLMFAO  
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
M4Madness, I really want to buy or build a M4 like yours. It looks spectacular.

Please give us the specs on your M4. What brand is it? What brand is the upper, lower, stock? What's the barrel length?

Nonbox, the lower is a pre-ban "blue label" Colt Sporter Target model. It is one of the later models (the cut-off is #ST038100) with a serial number of #STO35XXX. It has the raised fence, small-hole pivot, and large fire controls. It also has a sear block, but it has been milled down below the top surface of the lower. With the lower hinged open, the sear block cannot be seen from the side view. Fellow member "NYPatriot" milled it down and had Walter Birdsong refinish the entire lower (it matches Bushmaster's factory finish perfectly). The collapsible stock is a 4-position Colt. The upper receiver is a pre-ban Bushmaster 14.5" M4A3 with permanently-attached Phantom flash suppressor to bring it up to the legal 16"+ length. The handguards are the Colt M4's. I thought about going with an all-Colt upper, but couldn't justify spending about $400 more just for the Colt name.

As for the other member's question about how well I like the Phantom, I haven't fired it yet to see. I have a post-ban Dissipator, so I've been saving this pre-ban. If the '94 ban sunsets and isn't replaced, I'll shoot it then.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 1:27:53 PM EDT
[#28]
I dont know about anyone else but I'd say its because a lot of shooters enjoy 'keeping up' with the Military in the latest issue weapon. <frowns and looks at collection> I guess I'm stuck in Eastern Europe then.

Anyhow, the other thought about the M4 is that it finaly gives AR shooters something a little shorter, a little more compact and handy than the M-16 sized rifle. The M4 looks soooo much better next to an AK-74 than an full sized issue rifle.

R.G.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a fake telescoping stock because I like the look, and I can't afford a preban.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 6:02:41 PM EDT
[#30]
I think you all are just afraid to amit
the M4 is just an AK wanna be
short/handy/quick shldrng   FIRE POWER
the AK has the advantage though  .30 cal
Yes I'll burn in hell for a heritk
 SEMPER FI

oh by the way 1 of 3 MARINES who qualed a KD course with an AK   219
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 7:05:04 PM EDT
[#31]
a nice attribute of the post ban (non)telescoping stock is that they are ALOT lighter than the A2 full stock.IMO.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 7:22:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 9:35:16 PM EDT
[#33]
I've always thought the M4 profile was attractive in and of itself. It keeps the barrel from being just a boring tube sticking out the front of the rifle, and it also, IMO, makes the gun look a little shorter even when it's not.  

EDITED TO ADD:  I don't know about you guys, but the "GI Joe" effect is half of what made me go AR in the first place, after all it is a military-style rifle right?

EDITED AGAIN TO ADD:  They had to shorten the M16 by 5 1/2" to get it to be ALMOST as INACCURATE as the full length AKs.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 9:48:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Well for a REAL M4gery built on a preban with all the evil features its no surpise:

It fits in a vheicle a lot better.

It swings around a lot less if you are using a one or three point sling. Its muzzle also comes a lot less closer to the ground if you are vertically challenged.

Its a little lighter.

For urbanites and suburbanites its easier to swing inside a house.

But mostly for the first three reasons.

The post ban "look alike" non-functional telestocks has always struck me as the firearms equivilant of a "Continental Kit". Those tasteless fake spare wheel/tire carriers that certain groups of of people like to put on their big old full size V8 American sedans...

The 14.5"+1.5" hider also makes sense as it gives you a working flash hider and the smallest possible package without having to pay the 200 dollar tax for a SBR-which some jurisdictions wont let you have anyways.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 9:49:02 PM EDT
[#35]
AR15 fever is a disease, and the M4 is the cure.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#36]
EDITED AGAIN TO ADD: They had to shorten the M16 by 5 1/2" to get it to be ALMOST as INACCURATE as the full length AKs.
View Quote

We have people on this board with M4 profile barrels on their carbines that shoot MOA with their favorite ammo.
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=142144&w=searchPop[/url]

There actually seems to be little difference in accuracy between the 14.5" M4 profile barrels and the 20" M16A2 profile barrels. The rounds from the carbine have a lower velocity and so they drop more, and the wounding effects go down, and they MAY drift a little more at maximum range in a high cross wind. But in calm wind conditions the spread in azimuth seems to stay the same.

I wouldn't compare the carbine to a 20in match HBAR though.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 6:36:58 AM EDT
[#37]
I own an M4 BUSHMASTER XM15 E2S with a JP two stage trigger and speed hammer with a AIMPOINT COMP M sight with a Surefire 6P for lighting up the night.I'll tell you why I have one..cause when all "HELL" breaks loose I want my 14 1/2 w/1.5 mini Y COMP right by my side....NOT some long ass walking stick..

Here is a little "FYI" You don't talk about a mans M4...Just like you don't talk about his MAMA..!! "To each his own...That's why I own an M4..."  
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 7:26:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Why you ask? Because it's what the military uses, the special forces, it's what they use. If USMC Force Recon was using Robinson Armament M96 Weapon System(originally tested by SeALs in Viet'nam as the Xm207 and M63, if I'm not mistaken) then I imagine that's what we'd all have to have. And probably in the Recon Carbine version, because it's shorter and lighter.
Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 7:36:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You might as well ask why some people like the appearance of a certain type of car and not another.  If you don't get it, you simply DON'T.
View Quote

Because [blue]I like[/blue] how it looks. But I also have a 20" A2 and I like that too!!
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 3:12:32 PM EDT
[#40]
I like mine because my hobby keeps me ready for war, and I suppose this could be a good thing, as a paratrooper hehe!! plus it keeps my kids from frying their brains on the PS2.
           FREE
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 3:23:38 PM EDT
[#41]
I've just been obsessed with Carbines-In-General since I was a kid.

Started with seeing the M1 in a WWII movie--god knows which one--and continued from there.

Light, fast, mobile.  I love it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
......why stop at just one AR?
View Quote

Famous last words.  I remember saying that several thousand bucks ago.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#43]
M4Madness,

I'm running the same Bushie upper with the Phantom.  From what I've seen with mine, it reduces more flash that my birdcage/ A2 style ARs.  Most of the ammo I shoot is federal, and muzzle flash has never been massive.  I need to try it out with various types of ammo before I am totally sold, but it sure seems to do a better job with what I've seen.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top