Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/3/2002 5:00:27 PM EDT
I have a post ban Armalite AR-15.  I was wondering if I bought a preban lower and put my post ban upper on it, would that make it pre ban so I could add all the cool accessories?  Or is this just a rumor I heard?

Thanks,
Wes
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 5:30:55 PM EDT
[#2]
That is pretty cool.  Seeing as how it doesn't cost all that much for a pre ban lower, I might do that in the future.  Thanks for the help.

Wes
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Just be sure that your preban lower you buy is complete with it's fire control parts and a telestock.
There is a lot of grey area where the lower can lose it's preban status.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Why would you do that?  Why wouldn't you just buy a preban style upper if you spent so much money on a preban lower? Where do you find that a preban lower doesn't cost all that much?  At the very least a preban costs $750.  I usually see them for about $1000 for just the lower.  A postban lower costs at the most $350 for a match trigger and $250 at the most for the standard.

The only "cool" accessories you can't have on your upper now is a flash suppressor and a bayonet lug.  A bayonet is just about useless and without threads, you can't mount a flash suppressor.  If you get the postban upper threade4d for a FS, you couldn't mount it back on the postban lower.

It really doesn't make any sense in mounting the postban upper on a preban lower.  Just get a complete preban if that is what you want or buy the preban lower and a new preban upper.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 7:03:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Purely as a matter of practical thinking, contact the maker of the pre-ban lower in question (via phone, website, whatever) and check to see if that particular serial number is listed as pre-ban.  If it is,  that is proof enough of its pre-ban status. Beyond that,  just don't say anything to anybody about its configuration.  If anyone asks, it had a telescoping stock attached to it when you bought it and nobody can prove otherwise.    

If the maker says it's pre-ban, that's good enough for me and I'd never say anything to anyone that might even IMPLY that it might be questionable according to the BATF.

CJ
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 8:08:43 PM EDT
[#6]
It was purely a hypothetical question and I was wrong about the lowers being inexpensive.  I did some shopping and they are right around $750 each.  I do think it is cool that you can put a post ban upper on a pre ban lower, though.  However, the only "accessory" I wanted was the collapsable stock, so I don't think that justifies the price.  Thanks for all the responses though.

Wes
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 2:17:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but it is my understanding that if a pre-ban lower is sold without a pre-ban upper attached it looses its pre-ban status.  I may be wrong, but I don't think so. I do not believe that you can simply transfer a "complete" lower.  I believe you have to transfer a complete pre-ban gun. I suppose that if you can show by serial number that it was manufactured as a complete gun (lower and upper) then you could get away with it.  However, what would you do if someone asked to see the pre-ban upper that you bought with the gun?

18 USC Sec 921(a)(3) addresses this specifically.  Check out the current thread in the Legal Forum.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 10:08:29 AM EDT
[#8]
If it has a collapsable stock on it it has 3 evil features and is cosidered a complete rifle.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top