Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/3/2002 9:27:38 AM EDT
Is there a lot of diff between having one and not having one.  How much?

say between the bushy a3 shorty and the a3 ak shorty.

Thx
FireBlade
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 9:29:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Also, can you screw or bolt a brake on the a3 shorty, one that would be legal.

FireBlade
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 10:13:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been asking the same questions...I haven't heard that brakes make a heck of a lot of a difference as to improving function. Some of the brakes apparently increase perceived muzzle blast too... others say the only reason to get it is for looks... maybe someone else can elaborate
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 6:06:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Other than creating more muzzle flash and more noise I really do not see the need for a muzzle brake on a AR-15. The only time that I can see that it might be beneficial is if you were going full auto.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#4]
A muzzle brake can help reduce felt recoil and muzzle flip.  It also increaees the report of the weapon, however.  Some can even direct hot gasses back toward the shooter.  My opinion:  no it isn't worth it.  Kurt's Kustom makes a fake flash suppressor that is just for looks and doesn't function for those that just want the look. Many do say the AK brake is the best overall brake, but i don't have personal experience with the AK style brakes.

Also, a postban barrel cannot be threaded to accept a muzzle brake.  It is illegal to thread a postban rifle's barrel.  This would make it to easy to install a flash suppressor.  There are muzzle brakes that are attached with set screws, however.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 11:29:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Threading on post ban barrel no problem as long as brake is high temp silver soldered or pinned/welded.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 11:50:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Threading on post ban barrel no problem as long as brake is high temp silver soldered or pinned/welded.

That's right, the brake would have to be (semi) permanently attached.  It has to be made extremely difficult to fit a FS.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 5:43:04 AM EDT
[#7]
A brake reduces recoil forces and generates backblast for the user.  I just don't see the point of recoil reduction on an AR15.

A compensator just reduces muzzle flip with minimal backblast (e.g. the standard A2 bird cage) and allows faster follow up shots.  I do see the value there, particularly on rifles with optics.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 6:42:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I recently bought my first AR type rifle, a Bushmaster 20" with A3 removable handle.  I was fortunate to be able to try several of my friends' rifles before deciding which I wanted to buy for my first rifle.  I'm very glad I had that opportunity.

Before shooting any of the rifles, I was certain I would want the 16" Bushmaster with the fake telescoping stock and mini-Y compensator, because I thought it looked the coolest.  But man that thing is loud.  I'm a pretty big guy, 6'6" 240, and I found the 20" model with standard A2 stock just fit me much better.

And it was remarkably quieter than the shorty with the muzzle brake.  The concussion from the brake just smacks you in the face, I found it to be very distracting.  And there is not much recoil from an AR15 in the first place, so I don't think a compensator is really necessary.  Overall, I found the 20" with no brake much more pleasant to shoot.

Ookster
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 9:35:31 AM EDT
[#9]
why don't they make post ban barrels threaded to a different size than the flashhiders that way you could remove the brake to change sights or whatever and you could change brakes without being able to install flashhider
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 10:18:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top