Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/27/2002 5:56:07 PM EDT
I just picked up a "post" ban Bushmaster AW from a police officer.  I am a Police Officer and am authorized to possess the weapon.  My problem is the markings, (or lack there of).

On the lower receiver there is no indication that the weapon was ever marked restricted.

My questions are these.  Is this acceptable?  Were the first Postban AW rifles not marked "restricted"?  Or do I need to have this one permanently marked I.E. engraved? Or convert it to a Post ban rifle (non AW )configuration?

I have a copy of the Title 18 information but am not sure of my reading (interpretation) of it.

All opinions accepted, factual information with citations preferred.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 7:05:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 7:08:37 PM EDT
[#2]
If you possess it for authorized duty purposes, it would be legal. Most dealers require a letter signed by your Chief/Sheriff/supervisor with command authority. I would cover your butt and contact your local ATF Resident Agency and ask them exactly what paperwork needs to happen for an officer-to-officer post ban AW transfer. It would probably just consist of a letter.

If the receiver is not marked, check one of the numerous websites for SN ranges: maybe you got lucky and got a pre ban. Or, maybe you got hosed and got a postban in illegal configuration. If that is the case, immediately render it into a postban weapon.

Which brings another question that maybe one of you enterprising folks can answer for me. As a LEO, what if I don't feel like paying out the rear for a post ban when I could essentially configure the same thing from parts for half the price. Is there any way for a LEO to legally manufacture a post ban AW?
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 7:13:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Never mind. Troy answered my question before I could hit "submit." Must be psychic.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 10:12:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Any person could manufacture a post ban LE/Gvment use only assault weapon if they did it for the government entity. Same goes for full auto. This firearm may be then issued by the agency to an employee for dept use.

If the firearm is to be the personal property of an individual offer for duty use then only type 07 manuf. may make this weapon.

Who owns the firearm makes all the difference.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 3:39:21 AM EDT
[#5]
So, as an armorer, I could assemble or convert weapons into MGs and register them on a Form 10 (I am already in the process of registering military surplus M14s on Form 10s). Is there required paperwork for manufacture of an AW from a non-AW receiver for Department use? For that matter, I do not remember ever having to do a 4473 for a Department purchase weapon; they just show up in the mail, or by UPS. Does the dealer do one anyway?
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 6:37:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Any person could manufacture a post ban LE/Gvment use only assault weapon if they did it for the government entity. Same goes for full auto. This firearm may be then issued by the agency to an employee for dept use.

If the firearm is to be the personal property of an individual offer for duty use then only type 07 manuf. may make this weapon.

Who owns the firearm makes all the difference.

I don't think that's quite right, but it wouldn't suprise me if it were true.  

Only the federal government doesn't have to abide by federal law.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 6:43:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Dont know if this is true or not but its worth checking into.  Had an officer at my agency with a post-ban Armalite.  He wanted to install a collapsible stock on it.  He said he checked with the local ATF office and was told it can be legally done, however at that point his civilian legal post-ban reciever immediately became forever more a LE Only Gun, and could only be transfered to another LEO and would require the paperwork being submitted to show it as LE Only.  I'd get that in writing from the D.C. office before I tried it though.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top