Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2002 8:29:14 PM EDT
So, do you remember your first time?

I had never shot a "real" rifle before (only a .22 and a .40 carbine), so I had no idea what to expect.  I nervously chambered my first round in my newly acquired (used) Bushy M4gery, aimed, and somewhat timidly squeezed the trigger.  It wasn't that bad.

After the first 20 rounds, my reaction was basically "I should have gotten one of these a LONG time ago!"

In all, I fired about 300 rounds, first at paper (50yds, using the "advanced battlesight zero" method), then at a gong at 100yds, both on a sandbag rest and freehand.

The only peculiar thing about the experience was the "sproing!" sound I heard during each shot, presumably the recoil spring doing its thing.

Anyway, I can see now that this is going to be habit forming.  Next stop, a tack-driving 20 or 24 inch scoped flat top upper.  A sincere "thank you" to all the folks here who have provided useful information to me over the past several weeks.

--Mike
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 8:43:54 PM EDT
[#1]
The spring sound is a beautiful thing!
I hear it best on my 9mm, it's not as loud when it fires, so you hear the spring pretty loud!
I love it - makes me laugh!

Link Posted: 10/26/2002 8:45:15 PM EDT
[#2]
You have been Deprived, and now you are Depraved.
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 9:30:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Welcome!

My carbine (pre-ban with the short tube) makes more of a "bonk!" noise.

Link Posted: 10/26/2002 9:53:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a friend put some sort of thick greasy type stuff
on the recoil spring of my AR when it was new.
No more spoing noise, many thousands of rounds
later & I haven't had a problem.

Edited. Greasy stuff is called:
SuperLube thick Gel, Silver Tube, 8oz, about $10

Link Posted: 10/26/2002 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Man, that sproing is your baby talking to you; listen to her!

Quoted:
I had a friend put some sort of thick greasy type stuff
on the recoil spring of my AR when it was new.
No more spoing noise, many thousands of rounds
later & I haven't had a problem.

Link Posted: 10/26/2002 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#6]
The sproing lets me know when I jam. If its not there, something is wrong (or my mag is out).

My first semi-auto .223 round went through my 24" RRA Varmint. I bought it on faith and desire (I wanted a target rifle real bad). I was nervous too, I didn't know what to expect. I didn't know it would have less recoil than my father's semi-auto .22 Marlin. What a joy to shoot. Then a couple weeks later I got an A2. And then.... well that's where Im at now

Jonathan
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 10:05:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I know the feeling,
I just shot an AR for the first time the other day. Now its time to build one, but I gotta figure out these Kalifornia laws first.
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 10:22:31 PM EDT
[#8]
It's too late for you know.  It's over.

Link Posted: 10/26/2002 10:40:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep.  Was in 1977 or 1978.  Vietnam vet uncle brought one to the Sharp Park Shooting range during one of our family shooting outings.  Other family members thought or quietly commented "why one of those?"  After some punishing rounds through the Winchester 94, I took up his offer to try it.   It was a surprising joy to shoot. Thoughtfully engineered.  We were all converted that day.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 4:22:35 AM EDT
[#10]
The first time you say??? It goes back to the year of 1972.I was 5 years old.My father had shot the first type of M16 the Army recieved.He got out of the service in late 64.He was at Ft. Benning Ga.He bought a SP1 and I was a tag along just wanting to go where ever my dad went.He went deer land scouting that day.It was in the summer time (Georgia) and hot as the crack of the DEVIL's ass(got to be from the deep south to understand that one).He was carrying the SP1 and we came across a Trash dump pile and he sat up some old milk jugs and clorine jugs and he put some ear plugs in and put a headset on me. He blast the jugs from the hip and then and there I was forever an AR fan.He then let me pull the trigger while he basicly held it .To me I was the one shooting it.Memorys that will only fade when Im dead and gone.War Dawg
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top