Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2002 1:21:17 PM EDT
Which is best overall?  I am buying one or the other.  Any info will help just say Bush or Colt!  thanks
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 1:47:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Just from my personal experience, I would say that the Bushmaster is the more accurate rifle in standard configuration.

If the choice is between target rifles, Bushmaster Varminter or Colt CR6724, then I would give the nod to Colt.
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Generally, I'd defy any casual shooter to show a difference at all. If you are getting into more serious shooting percision shooting, the answer to that question is going to depend on an awful lot of things like what bullet type and weight you will be shooting and which rifle you get. Standard Colt  HBAR will have a 1x7 twist with a chrome bore but non chrome barrel. Bushmaster will have a 1x9 twist with a chrome lined chamber and bore.
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 9:48:07 PM EDT
[#3]
There will be neglible difference between the two as far as accuracy. Colt, IMO, has a bit higher quality & will be worth more should you ever sell it.

I have read several BM owners in here who had problems but never a Colt owner.

Buy the Colt.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 12:26:10 AM EDT
[#4]
rmkey47,which section u n?
I'am E.C.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 2:02:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have read several BM owners in here who had problems but never a Colt owner.

Buy the Colt.

Oh, I have heard some complaints about Colt, especially recently.  I have heard just as many complaints about Colt as i have heard about Bushmaster.  Which is to say there aren't a lot of complaints about either.  Both companies are absolutely top tier.  However, both have had production problems in the past because each rifle is hand assembled.  In a process like that, every manufacturer is going to encounter a problem here and there.  

My one complaint about Colt has been my opinion that they don't give a damn about the civilian market.  Sure, they sell to the public, but I feel they only do it because they know people will pay for the name.  

They have always tried to substitute one part or another (receiver pins or fire control pins) with nonmilspec parts.  They do this so people will have to buy proprietary replacement parts from them.  If they truly cared about  the consumer, they would have tried to make things easier by using less expensive and more common milspec pins.  They would have made their products more easly compatible with those from other companies.    They concern themselves with trying to obtain government and foreign contracts than they do about providing quality service to the  American customers.  The information on civilian products on their website is less than complete and less than adequate.  There early products were of good quality, but most of their postban rifles have had a number of complaints.

It is true, some people have had some sight alignment problems with Bushmaster, but they take care of the problem quickly and efficiently.  I would always pick a Bushmaster over a Colt for one reason:  1005 milspec = 100% compatible with products from every other manufacturer (other than Colt).  This saves cost and time in the long run and logistics wise.

I have seen Colts and handled them.  The Bushmasters are just as good if not better than the Colts I have experienced.  Rock River and DPMS are also good products.  I would also pick those over a Colt.  Armalite is a superb company, and seems to have the least number of complaints than anyone else.  Cavarms seems to be good too, and Olyarms follows as a close runner up to the top five.  I feel if you are looking at Colt and not at the others before you make a purchase, you are limiting yourself and risking spending a little more money than you would if you went with another brand.  And as far as resale goes, Bushy's bring in just as good a price as Colt's from what I have seen.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 5:04:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Since the conversaton has turned to quality control issues, let me add my two cents.  I think it makes sense to contrast the 'complaints' about any given manufacturer, to their total volume of production.  If you view each maker's quality as a percentage of production, you'll have your own answer.

Perhaps this will help shed some light on the 'number' of complaints about each manufacterer.  It's very telling.

http://home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/99production.jpg
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#7]
As far as Bushmaster and Colt go there isn’t much difference.  Approximately 175 members of our department recently bought personal Colt rifles for patrol.  It should be noted that Colt rifles are the only rifles our department will permit us to carry. We noticed the quality in these rifles were somewhat disappointing.  We’ve had several rifles that would not allow the magazine to drop out of the magazine well.  No, it wasn’t the magazines.  It was out of spec trigger guards that protruded into the magazine well.  I also know of at least one of the rifles that did not have the safety detents drilled, which did not allow the safety to stay in position.  Currently all our Colt rifles are not permitted out on patrol because there have been reports of the muzzle brakes working loose and going down range.  Until this defect can be corrected by either Colt or our Department armorer.  

I know there are some good Colt rifles out there.  I’ve shot many of them and I’m sure there are many owners of Colt rifles on this board that will swear by them.

I’m sure you’ll find Bushmaster owners that have complaints.  I own both a Bushmaster and Colt.  No problems ever with my Bushmaster.  After about 450 rounds my muzzle brake on my Colt was getting a little loose so I replaced the roll pins with spring steel pins.  No problems after that.  Oh, I also replaced my Colt’s plastic buffer with a left over Bushmaster aluminum buffer.  The shaved off Colt bolt carrier was making little black plastic shavings in my lower with the plastic buffer.  It’s probably a self-limiting situation, but I just like the aluminum buffer better.  Maybe I’m too much of a traditionalist.  

I think the main thing with choosing a rifle from either Bushmaster or Colt is to be able to look the rifle over before your purchase it.  Look for obvious defects.  Make sure the mags fit, make sure the safety works, then buy the rifle, shoot it and ENJOY it!
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I went AR shopping the other day and there was a $180 price difference between a Colt and a Bushy...same rifle.  I bought the Bushy.  Bushmaster customer service is top notch and they are very much in tune with the civilian market.  I have no respect for Colt as a company and I will continue to refrain from buying their products.

Bradd
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top