Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2002 8:29:19 AM EDT
Hello,

I hear the dissipator upper offers much improved reliability over other 16"-inch uppers.  Is this true?  How's it compare to an M4 upper?  What are you people's thoughts about the dissipator?

Thanks,

--Erich
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 9:27:01 AM EDT
[#1]
If you plan to stick to iron sights the dissy is a good way to go due to the longer sight radius, but if you plan to use optics on it, it really isnt needed.  As far as reliability I have had both and didnt notice a difference.  I sold the Dissy and went with the M-4 with the Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 11:16:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Reliability isn't any different.  Don't forget, the differences between the dissipator and the other 16" uppers is cosmetic.  The gas block is in the same location, the only difference is the location of the front sight and the length of the handguards.

I personally prefer the balance and looks of the M4 style, but depending on your application, the dissipator can offer some real advantages.

If you use the 3 point or single point tactical type slings that allow you to just drop the weapon if you transition to a handgun, then the dissipator could prevent some burns.  The longer handguards cover most of the hot barrel so you are less likely to pick up a burn on your leg, etc.

If you are using iron sights, the longer sight radius allows greater potential accuracy at longer ranges.  As was previously stated, if you are using optics, this won't matter.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 9:08:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

--Erich
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 10:33:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Dissipators look funny!
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 11:47:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Again, the Dissipator setup is the best IRON-SIGHT carbine setup, but get the "M4 Dissipator", which saves a lot of weight.

But, if you plan to use optics, the only advantage of the Dissipator is the covered barrel, and I'd rather have the weight savings of the standard carbine in that case.

I have both, BTW.

-Troy

Those are some good points, everybody.  Troy, I didn't know that they offered a M4 Dissipator.  That's a cool idea.  I'm planning on using a Holosight, but I'll probably use sights until I scronge up the cash for the optics.  I just want a lightweight tactical carbine that's still accurate.

--Erich
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#7]
with that in mind I would go with the M-4
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 2:03:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Reliability will the the same on either. As noted above, Dissipator is noticably heavier with a long sight radius. M4 will be lighter with a shorter sight radius. If you are using an optic, the longer sight radius of the Dissipator and its extended sight radius will be needlessly wasted. IMHO, go with the M4...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top