Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2002 1:53:01 PM EDT
My apologies in advance if this topic has been beaten into the ground previously.  I have been absent from the discussions for the last 2 years, and am just now "returning to the fold". I would like to find the lightest shorty AR on the market (no carbon AR's please).  Ideally, I would like something that has a slim 14.5" barrel so that I can get a Wilson muzzle brake installed. An A3 configuration would be ideal, but I would settle for an A2 as well.  In your honest opinion, where should I turn for this "dream gun".  BTW, I already have a Bushmaster lower, so a light-weight upper would be OK.  Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 2:22:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Olympic Arms FAR-15 at 4.92# or Panther Arms DCMS Plinker at just over 5#.  Plinker has A-1 sights i think, but may be had in A-3 configuration. dont quote me on that one. also Bushmaster now sells 'pencil' barrels. so you could start from there and go with a carbon fiber/fiberglass free floating tube(you might need it with such a thin barrel) and then an upper from whoever. Carbine buttstocks are still about the lightest furniture avaible i think.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#2]
The DPMS Lightweight is not called the plinker.  It is called the Panther Lite 16.  It has a postban lightweight, thin profile barrel, A1 sights, and a faux collapsible stock.  It also has a shim built in between the pistol grip and the trigger guard, so no gapper is needed.  It weighs around 5 3/4 puonds.  The upper is forged, but the lower is cast.  The upper is available separately, but is not listed in the catalog.  You can call them and request a price.  

The plinker is from Olyarms.  It has A1 sights, but a heavy barrel and A2 full stock.  Both the upper and lower are cast on this one.  For the price, it is a good rifle for recreation.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 4:09:27 AM EDT
[#3]
oops. sorry. you are right. but i was at least thinking about the right rifle. just had the name wrong.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 9:07:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info!

Glebsky
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top