Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/23/2002 9:37:43 AM EDT
ok these both cost about the same. One is a parts manufacturer with a good reputation. the other is a well known and trusted firemarm manufacturer. so far ive heard some complaints about Olympic, but never any about JT. whats best everyone.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 9:44:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I've heard very good things about J&T's kits.  I've heard bad things about Oly.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 10:06:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I've just put together 2 Oly Arms kits.  One PCR-4, and one 16" A2 Carbine.  Both kits went together extremely well.

I have no experience with the JT kits.

Customer service at Oly Arms was great.  Both kits came UPS in less than a week after I placed my order.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#3]
First, let me say that I don't have any "second hand" knowledge of their quality, and I haven't "heard from the friend of a friend's second cousin twice removed" any thing bad, I only have first hand knowledge, as I own an Oly PCR-1 Ultra-Match, fit and finish is perfect,
and accuracy is as advertised, my wife got it for me for Christmas last year.
I am going to get a kit gun from them this Christmas,
and am looking forward to it.
I needed one small part for my PCR-1, the trigger guard was a little hard to close,
and they sent it right out at no charge.
One of the reasons I bought from them is that they are the manufacturer and have a vested interest in my satisfaction.

Hope you like what ever it is you buy,

Rancid Lance
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 10:51:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I think either will serve you well.  I only have experience with the Oly products but JT has a good rep here.  I would think that JT could provide more options on your kit (Barrels/Brakes/Stocks) if you desire anything other than the standard parts kit. I think Oly kits are on sale.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 1:46:08 PM EDT
[#5]
My vote is for the Oly.  At least they BUILD rifles and do have Sales to foreign Govts.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 2:14:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a J&T 20" A2 kit. It is very nice, upper receiver finish matches my RRA lower (flat, smooth and black), but not the Oly lower it is on (rough and grey). The rear sight spindles have a purple tint to them. I thought I had a problem with a small part, so I called to get it corrected. After talking to them for a minute, they not only suggested ways to fix it (which worked), but sent the replacement part. Functionally, I couldn't ask for more from the kit.

Overall I am impressed with the kit's performance and the company's backing of its products.

As an aside, the kit was at my door in 18 hours from time of ordering (3pm on a Wed to 9am Thurs). But then again, I live in TN and they are in KY.

Jonathan
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 3:55:54 PM EDT
[#7]
For a kit, I think either will serve you well.  Any problems from a factory rifle is usually from the assembly by whoever put the piece together.  Every AR company has had problem with a rifle at one time or another.  Each rifle is hand assembled and will be prone to a mistake here and there.  The quality of parts from both companies has been well praised by many.  Customer service is also been deemed quite well for both.  If you are assembling your own rifle, i assume you will take extra time and care to ensure a well put together firearm.  Pick whichever one has the features you want at the best price.  One more thing, Oly does make their own lowers so the color may match more precisely.  However, if you get one from either DPMS or RRA, the J&T kit might match better.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Can't speak for the Oly, but my 16" carbine kit from JT is great. The finish matches my RRA lower perfectly, the parts are high quality and standard. Performance with non-trash mags has been flawless, and accuracy is far better than I am capable of utilising (Necco Wafers at 75 yards). They also have informed phone reps.

Only problems I've had... Took three or four weeks to get it, but I caught them at a bad time. They upgraded me to three day, gratis, when I was about to leave on a trip.

The barrel was scuffed up pretty bad in a spot, but I was planning on having it fluted anyhow, so I didn't complain. I have no doubt they'd have done the right thing then, as well.

Again, dunno about Olympic, but JT is top-notch.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 5:12:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm pleased with the Oly kit I assembled.

Kent
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 9:01:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 9:32:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've heard very good things about J&T's kits.  I've heard bad things about Oly.

We hear a lot of things...

I would suggest that we ignore things that we have heard and listen to those who have had actual hands on tell us what they have found.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 5:24:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Budam,

So I can't listen to people who have had hands on experience about a product?  I can only comment if I have had personel experience?  How stupid is that?  Your idiotic comment just lost a potential customer.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 6:51:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Budam,

So I can't listen to people who have had hands on experience about a product?  I can only comment if I have had personel experience?  How stupid is that?  Your idiotic comment just lost a potential customer.

Actually, what I think he just said was that you SHOULD listen to people who have had hands on experience.  Plus he never said that you can't comment on anything you want, but that people should take it with a grain of salt if they are getting the info 3rd or 4th hand.  

I don't think his comment is too idiotic, but that's just me.  Not to mention that, by coincidence, I just ordered a lower from Mark yesterday and he was nothing but super-helpful and friendly on the phone.  He offered logic and sensible advice and would be happy to do business with him in the future.

Maybe you were offended, but IMHO I think you might have over-reacted a bit -- but again, that's just my lowly opinion.

Steve
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 7:09:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Hi, no experience with Oly; however I recently purchased a J&T A-2 20" upper kit.  Fit and finish was excellent.   It was assembled to an RR lower and the colors match almost perfectly.  On the range I am getting 1.5 moa groups with South Aferican and 1 moa with Black Hill match at 100yds.  Very happy with it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 11:21:42 AM EDT
[#15]
By coincidence, I've built kits from both.  Minor cosmetic differences in the finishes but both kits went together very well and I was well pleased.  I can't remember if the JT handguards had the aluminum heatshields, but the Oly did not.  I also liked the muzzle brake on the JT better than the Oly version, but that is a subjective opinion and YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 1:24:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Budam,

I am sorry that I did not explain my self as well as I wanted to.  I'll take the blame and  try again.  You can always let me know how poor a job I did the second time around also! :-)  I am just human.

We have heard many people say a friend told me, but in many instances what we have heard is not 100% correct.

In the process of sharing what we have heard, they somehow can become facts.  We suddenly hear how poor service XYZ has or how my brothers wife’s, fathers sister heard about how the bullet come out the buttstock and not the barrel.

A good example that many of us were taught in school is the share the secret around the circle of people.  One person shares the secret to the person to their right.  When the secret comes back around to the person who started it, we commonly find that the secret is no longer close to what it started out to be.  No one tried to lie and not tell it exactly as they were told, we are just human.

When one has a direct interaction with a situation, we are fairly good about describing it, time and time again.  When we share it to a friend who tries to share it, they commonly will not share it correctly and leave some major items out that changes the tenor of what is being said.

The point I was trying to get across is:

If someone says, I heard that XYZ sucks, but do not offer any information why or how this belief came to be, we have not done a service to the people who are asking/listening.

If someone says, I saw or had this experience and this is why I would not use XYZ, we can be fairly assured that it is correct and we also learn why to be wary of a product.

I hope this explains what I was trying to get across and why someone should always tell or ask about the situation that caused someone to like or dislike a product.

Note that saying just, "XYZ rocks", is just as useless to help someone get the facts on why they should buy/use XYZ's product.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 4:42:27 AM EDT
[#17]
I have assembled 2 kits from Oly Arms in the past 3 months, and they both went together very well.  

One kit was their current $424 web special for the PCR-4 kit (20" Hbar).  The other was for a PCR-5 kit (16" carbine).

Customer service from Oly was great.  I had both kits in less than a week from the time of order.

I am a satisfied Oly customer, and would buy from them again.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 8:01:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I have no experience with Oly, but I do not think you would go wrong with J&T.  Both of the kits I have put together have had good quality with new parts.  Function has been excellent.  Service was good also.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Budam,

I am sorry that I did not explain my self as well as I wanted to.  I'll take the blame and  try again.  You can always let me know how poor a job I did the second time around also! :-)  I am just human.

We have heard many people say a friend told me, but in many instances what we have heard is not 100% correct.

In the process of sharing what we have heard, they somehow can become facts.  We suddenly hear how poor service XYZ has or how my brothers wife’s, fathers sister heard about how the bullet come out the buttstock and not the barrel.

A good example that many of us were taught in school is the share the secret around the circle of people.  One person shares the secret to the person to their right.  When the secret comes back around to the person who started it, we commonly find that the secret is no longer close to what it started out to be.  No one tried to lie and not tell it exactly as they were told, we are just human.

When one has a direct interaction with a situation, we are fairly good about describing it, time and time again.  When we share it to a friend who tries to share it, they commonly will not share it correctly and leave some major items out that changes the tenor of what is being said.

The point I was trying to get across is:

If someone says, I heard that XYZ sucks, but do not offer any information why or how this belief came to be, we have not done a service to the people who are asking/listening.

If someone says, I saw or had this experience and this is why I would not use XYZ, we can be fairly assured that it is correct and we also learn why to be wary of a product.

I hope this explains what I was trying to get across and why someone should always tell or ask about the situation that caused someone to like or dislike a product.

Note that saying just, "XYZ rocks", is just as useless to help someone get the facts on why they should buy/use XYZ's product.

Points taken and now I will buy from you additional fun toys.  What is your web site url???
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 11:07:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Points taken and now I will buy from you additional fun toys.  What is your web site url???

Glad we are on the same page!  Our webpage is at www.triplebreakproducts.com
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top