Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2002 5:02:21 AM EDT
Greetings from a new member to this forum.  I am planning on purchasing an AR15 in the immediate future.  I had a Colt purchased in the early '80s that I loved, but, unfortunately was stolen in a burglary in 1985.  I wish I had replaced it then, but better late than never.

At my local dealer I saw a brand new Colt 20" HBAR that looks very nice.  I don't recall the specific model number, but it has the fixed carry handle.  They're asking $999.00.  Is this a decent price for a local retail purchase?  Would this model (if I described it specifically enough) be a good choice for a general purpose rifle for target shooting and/or homeland defense?  

Thank you.  I appreciate your opinions.

Ron
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 8:36:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe the Colt with 20" heavy barrel and 1:7 twist is the MT6601 (C suffix indicates a pinned on compensator). I own both this model, and a Bushy XM15E2. Since the agency I work for issues the 6601C, I have seen quite a number pass through our ranges. We have seen a number of quality problems including pinned on compensators becoming dislodged and magazine well dimensions causing magazines to bind (yes, we tried numerous magazines and found the problem with the rifle, not the mags). $999.00 is about average in my area and seems alot to pay when an equivalent Bushy goes for $739.00.

Personally, I'd go with the Bushmaster and put the extra $ into ammo, etc.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#2]
If it is a post ban, i.e. no flash suppressor nor bayonet lug, then yes it is a bit high. Keep in mind that price may be merely "asking" price. A better price would be in the $850-900 range, IMO.

Yes, this model makes a wonderful all-around rifle. I have a model 6601 & it is a terrific tack driver.

If you can, go to a gun show & maybe find one there for the $850-900 price. Or at least mention that to the retail shop you found that one in.  >gg<

Stick with Colt, they're worth more money.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top