Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/13/2002 4:27:12 PM EDT
I am really torn as to which rifle I should purchase.  I have owned 2 AR15's in the past and liked them but I want to get a new rifle and have been looking at both options.  I like the expandability of the AR and all the options but I really like the look of the HK's.  I have also noticed the new HK clones and how inexpensive they are compared to the real things.My issue is whether to go with the AR and stick with what I know or get a HK and work on building a PSG-1 clone out of a HK91.  Two many choices.....
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#1]
What's your budget?
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Around $1000.  I built my last two AR15's so I know how cheap it is to build those.  I figured to start at $1000 and then upgrade from there when I can.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#3]
The only reason I like the AR15 as much as I do is that it is inexpensive to build one and I am very familiar with it since I am enlisted.  I also like the fact that there are a lot of parts for it.  On the other hand, I like the look of HK's even though they are extremely expensive especially for parts.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 5:55:38 PM EDT
[#4]
ummm...a grand isn't going to cut it, HK91's (308) are about $2000 and go up from there.

The HK93's (223) are always a few hundred more than an HK91 of the same condition....
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Like I said in my previous mail, I have been looking at the current clone models.  I have been watching HK prices for over 4 years and I am well aware of there cost.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 6:03:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 7:21:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Get an AR-10! You should be able to find a used one for $1000.00. Why build a clone when you can own the real thing?
An HK91 is very cool. An HK93 is too heavy for a .223 (IMHO). Your enlisted earned cash will be safer invested in an genuine rifle of whatever make/model you desire. Clones usually are a good way to throw away $$$ (Except for my personal M4gery of course)
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry if I cam across a little harsh.  The KC Chiefs lost because our defense sucks so I am a little cranky.  I have been looking at the Special Weapons models and also the CETME's, even though I heard that the CETME rifles are not able to use HK type accessories such as stocks or forearms.  If they were, I would have already gotten one of them. I have heard mixed reviews about SW but all I have been able to look at is picture's so I do not know the quality.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 9:42:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#10]
If the Special Weapons clones can take 100% original HK parts, I guess you could get one and build from there.  The question is how easy will it be to get HK parts?  How expensive will it be to upgrade an HK type weapon?  The AR may be cheaper to upgrade and you will already start with a quality weapon.  The SW's seem a bit flimsy from what i have heard.  

The HK look is O.K., probably cooler image wise.  But if you have never held or used a HK weapon, the ergonomics of the AR are better to me.  AR's are generally more light weight for the size compared to HK's.  The mag release and changing mags is easier and faster than the paddle release and non-drop free nature of the magazines in the HK weapons.  If you install an ergogrip or similar product and a gapper between the trigger guard and grip, the AR feels better to hold.  

I'll be the first to admit an MP5 or HK 53 or even HK93 is cooler.  However, in combat, i would rather have an AR type weapon outfitted with a couple of aftermarket accessories which, in the long run, will end up being less expensive than the fancier Hekler & Koch.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 1:20:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 5:02:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys.  You have kept me from spending my money on a useless clone.  Looks like I am going to have to get a new lower this weekend.....
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 6:36:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Pick up a shotgun news and look into buying a US made HK receiver and a parts kit and then save up to have someone build it for you.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 7:00:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Your best bet is to look for a post ban Greek made sar 8. Not the fugly US made aluminiun receiver.

These can normally be found for around a $ 1000.00 and are just as HK as a german one.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Grendel... If you really want a clone go with a Interport...period. It is close as to HK as you can get. It will also cost you around a 1k or you can also get a preban Springfield for a little more. BUT, If I were you would look into getting a AR-10. I really like the HK don't get me wrong. The G3 is not as fun to shoot as my AR-10 or any other of my battle rifles for that matter. The G3 is reliable as hell and pretty accurate...not too far behind my AR-10. The G3 ergonomics sucks, where as the AR-10 is the best IMHO. The AR-10 has all of the pluses that the AR-15 has. The only bad thing about the 10 compared to the G3 and other MBRs is the magazine prices. It is not as bad as some MBRs though,like the Galil. But if you have your heart set on a G3 clone than there is only two choices for you...Springfield or Interport.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top