Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2002 9:24:33 PM EDT
Hey guys, I was just wondering when Colt applied for the patent on the M4 and all the features associated with it?

I'm assuming that it was sometime in the 80's and it should be running out sometime soon?

If I remember correctly from my Intro Law classes, patents are only good for 17 year?

Thanks in advance guys.......
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 4:43:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think it would be a patent issue. A lot of different companies manufacture M4 type weapons with the same features as the M4 and do not have to pay Colt fees for use of the design. I think it would be more of a trademark issue with the designator "M4", although I believe that I have seen weapons manufactured by other companies bearing the same model #.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 5:45:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Colt owns the "Technical Data Package" for specific features of the issue M4.  Specifically, the cuts in the receiver and barrel extension that are only available to Colt.  Everything else has already been used by just about every other manufacturer.  The name "M4" is a military nomemclature, while Colt retains it's LE/R/DCXXXX nomenclature.  If the TDP comes into the public domain, the Colt "M4" and closes will be undistinguishable.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 1:47:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I think that Colt does own a patent on the M4 features such as the feed ramps and M4 double heatsheild HG's.  If they didn't then other companies could reproduce these, but they don't or can't?!
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 2:00:43 PM EDT
[#4]
yep-- Colt has a patent on the M4.

I saw on another topic that it was about to expire.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Does anybody have details of the patent?  I can't seem to find anything at www.uspto.gov/
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 4:42:08 PM EDT
[#6]
use a search and look up:
Technical Data Package M4 Colt

This should get you something.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#7]
The M4 handguard patent expires in May of 2004 (#4,663,875).
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top