Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2002 6:48:41 PM EDT
My father-in-law is thinking about buying his first AR, and he DEFINATELY wants a SS barrel,and prob. a flattop in the $800 range. so... which factory gun should he get and why?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Tony
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 8:03:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 9:21:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Why not look at a kit?  You will get more for your money, have bragging rights, and would be more familiar with your weapon.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#3]
A kit's not a bad idea, the only draw back is warranty and loosing all those idy-bidy spring loaded pins!

If you're looking at the barrels in specific, then I might also suggest Olympic Arms since they really make about the best barrels out there and their AR's also come with a lifetime warranty and can easily fit within your father-in-law's price range.

Rock River Arms and Armalite make damn fine rifles as well and also come with a lifetime warranty.  Armalite's kind of hard to find right now, though.

Before I could really nail down a recommendation, what is he planning to use the rifle for?
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 12:26:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My father-in-law is thinking about buying his first AR, and he DEFINATELY wants a SS barrel,and prob. a flattop in the $800 range. so... which factory gun should he get and why?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Tony

Your really vague in your description of the rifle.

What is the purpose for the rifle?????

Is it a Shooter, Bench rifle, DCM rifle, or a Varmint rig.   If you narrow the rifle down to it's primary usage, then were can focus on the best rifle for that purpose, and keep the rifle in the $800 range.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 1:50:12 PM EDT
[#5]
It's going to be a range gun. Mostly a plinker that he can put a scope on. He wants a 20" SS. I think he just likes the SS barrel. Longest shots will be 220yrds.

I would suggest a kit, but I'd have to put it together for him, and I don't want to do it for my own reasons.

Thanks,

Tony
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 9:10:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Bench or free hand at the range?
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 11:32:12 AM EDT
[#7]
bench
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 11:57:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Armalite

Yep.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#9]
If he's planning to use a scope as his only sight, I might suggest a DPMS Bull rifle.  They have an excellent selection of SS Bull Barreled rifles at a good price.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 11:04:04 PM EDT
[#10]
freshhoarse,
Got to go with the rest of the guys,  A big bull barrel, and install a butt stock weight to balance the rifle. On a bench rifle, the heaver the better.  It keeps the rifle from dancing/pulsing when holding on target.  And, if bench work will all that the rifle sees, have him go with a 24" barrel.

As for the $800 mark, he will need to build one up from a parts kit. Start off with a RRA receiver($95) and a JT bull barrel kit($535). This will put him at the $650 mark with FFL and shipping, and still leave him $150 left over for a scope or other toys.

P.S. This combo also work great for lazy days on a blanket, overlooking a prairie dog town.

http://webcats.net/store/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=J&Product_Code=BBK&Category_Code=K
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 7:44:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the Olympic Arms 416F SS bbls.  I have one rifle with the free floated bull barrel (Stainless Ultra Match), a 20" Stainless Heavy Match (like an HBAR bbl), and a 16" Stainless Heavy Match.  All three are black oxided, no shiny finish.  And all shoot accurately.  I live in a very humid area, so there is no worry about  rust.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top