Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2002 6:34:49 PM EDT
I NOW understand that when you clean a rifle (ar15) you should run the brush in from the chamber end of the barrel. Ok, I do that. But then I pull it back through the way it went in. I'm told now that you should take the brush off, once it exits the muzzle, pull the rod back out and then start over. I have an almost new AR15. I've shot it once, and cleaned it once, not taking the brush off when I pull the rod back through. Have I screwed up the accuracy of the rifle, potentially damaging the crown?

Paranoid in Alabama
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 6:41:34 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's not a match grade AR, you probably have nothing to worry about.  As a general rule, you want to do it as you said, but, unless you are lew tippie, you would probably never notice any degradation.  If you put a dent (visible) or mark in your crown, you may affect accuracy.

If its a everyday shooter, and not for world class competition, don;t worr too much about it.

HTH

TXLEWIS
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#2]
OH MY GOD!!

You are worse than that woman who beat here child in the Wal-Mart Parking lot!

The rifle is utterly ruined, but I'll help you out.  Don't tell anyone, but I'll take it off your hands for $25 bucks, oh heck $50.  Just don't tell anyone that you suckered me into buying it from you.

Take off the brush after every stroke.  Man, I have better things to do with my time.  Patches are a different matter.  I personally don't take the brush off.  I could see where it would be better.  I am an animal in that I do use JB bore paste regularly though.

You might do more damage with a metal tip on a rod being dragged back through the bore than with carrying back some gunk on the brush.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#3]
You guys are good!!!  Thanks. From my cold dead hands.........I hate to beat you out of 25 bucks, so I'm gonna throw this old dog in the garbage can and be done with it.

Thanks tex,
Gary McClaran
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey McClaran! I have something else to add on to the fact that the guys are right , and you shouldn't fuss. In the military we were taught to assemble 3 sections of rod with your desired tip, and drop the rod tip last down the bore from the chamber end (I assemble 4, it's a little longer but the threads on the rod don't show, and wrap black electrical tape on the end, I'm paranoid about scratching the lands too)Hope this helps, if not I'll give you $75 for the rifle just don't throw it out!!!, hehehe!
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 12:31:53 PM EDT
[#5]
You might want to buy a BoreSnake.  They are a long cord with integrated brush and "patches".  You just run the cord down the bore, grab the end that pokes through, and pull the whole thing down through the barrel.  Then you just repeat as necessary--no need to deal with rods and screwing/unscrewing brushes.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I love my Otis cleaning kit.  Just put the little brass dodad through the barrel, put the handle on when it passes through the muzzle, and pull.  Repeat.  So easy.  Just my 2cents.

toast
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top