Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2002 5:59:46 PM EDT
Are BM, Colt HBARs profiles the same?

TIA
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes,  Basically the barrels are pre-turned.

The true a-2 barrel is turned to relieve  metal/weight.  Both companies just skip the last turning step and sell the barrel as a Heavy weight type.
The true mil-spec barrel is much preferred due to it balancing the rifle better.   With out the final turned barrel, the front of the rifle is a little too heavy and swings more like a fence post. The extra weight is good for holding the rifle stationary, but is a real hindrance on a moving target or multi target snap shooting.

The thing I don't get is since they do not take the time to finish the barrel(final relief turning), then why does the barrel cost the same/more than a true type A-2.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Dano - thanks for the reply, but I guess I should have been more specific.

I'm having three barrels custom turned and fluted and need to know if BM and Colt have the exact external dimensions since I am having BM barrels worked, but only have a Colt to look at.  The BM barrels were shipped directly to Kurt - won't even see them until they are done.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 8:44:52 AM EDT
[#3]
IIRC the Colt HBARS are not quite as fat as Bushmaster's or Olys.  And IIRC they have a 'medium' weight too (just to further confuse things).

If the barrels are being custom turned then it really doesn't matter - the 'smith will turn it down to your desired diameter then flute.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 8:51:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, Forest.  I just wanted the "steps" (diameter changes) to be in the same location on the BM barrels as on my Colt.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top