Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2002 11:07:23 PM EDT
Thought that I read quite a while back on the mailing list that pulling down hard on the sling might alter the long range trajectory.  For those of you doing matches, does this even hold water?  Also, might any of you know a website or other resources where I might learn the proper use of a competition (M-1907 type) sling?

Thanks!

--flagyl
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 12:40:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Sling tension and keeping it the "same" is what we're going after, when talking about the Garand and M1-A.

Match AR-15s are free floated.....so no problem.

Link Posted: 9/20/2002 5:52:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, sling tension will alter the trajectory in an AR unless you have the float tube, which anchors the sling swivel to the handguard instead of the front sight.

As to the use of the sling, I use a web sling, so I can't help you.  You might want to post that question in the Competition forum, where you'll find the folks are very helpful.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 7:10:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Fulton Armory's FAQ has lots of info on this subject.  Here is one good link:

www.fulton-armory.com/slinguse.htm
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 5:30:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Jim Owens has an excellent book on setting up and using the sling. You can find it in the Dillon catalog. He has a nice webpage also
www.jarheadtop.com
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the replies.  I did visit the Fulton Armory FAQ as you have suggested, however, the sling adjustment decribed in the 1951 FM23-5 seems completely opposite to the description given in 1994 FM23-10.  It's getting me kinda confused.  I would personally trust the FM23-5 more, as the M1907 was designed for the Garand, it seems...but...any ideas?

--flagyl
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 6:02:38 PM EDT
[#6]
If you shoot service rifle put on a float tube.  The guys @ sooner guns. (a new sponsor on this board) put an amalite tube on my bushy.  Makes a big difference.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 6:06:44 PM EDT
[#7]
check out the turner slings.  54 inch black, Just got a new one from Georgia precision.  1st time order.  Had it in 2 days.   Nice folks, fair price.   Supporter of this website.
Could have paid $4.00 bucks less from champions.  However I figured GPSS is supporting my habit of being long winded and wasting valuable bandwith.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 6:35:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess you floated an old barrel that had a handguard?  How much did you tighten up the shots (and is it all mental? j/k)?  I did purchase the Turner black sling.  Must say that it's pretty sweet.  Just not sure whether locking the unfloated rifle with the sling is a good idea -- and I guess the concensus is it's not...

--flagyl
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top