Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2002 9:56:12 AM EDT
I've seen a lot of these uppers around for cheap, like on ebay and such. They are advertised as new, and can be had for around 300 bucks.

Has anyone ver bought one, hows the accuracy?

I have a RRA lower and need an upper for it, looking for an a2 20" postban with a comp.

FN seems like a great price, could use some advice tho

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 10:12:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Do a search on "FN" and see what comes up. A lot has been posted on the very real possibility of "FN" parts being fakes. When folks tell you they have an FN part for sale, it usually means they have no F-N idea who the manufacturer is.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought three FN barreled uppers on Gunbroker. Did some background on checking with the seller who's Canadian. Here's what I found. The Canadian goverment sold these uppers off at auction when they were doing an armory update. I was faxed a copy of the bill of sale from the seller who purchased one hundred of them $8700 Canadian. He was averaging $250 American and up on Gunbroker. Nice profit. To bad the American military isn't smart enough to auction off old parts rather than destroy them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 10:53:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Have to watch out.  There are only three possibilities:

1. It's stolen.

2. It's fake.

3. It's a factory reject.

FN never makes any parts for the civilian market.  They have an exclusive contract with the military.  If they are truly FN uppers, then they have to be rejects, but I've heard that although many of the rejects are POS, there are some that function quite well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 5:24:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Usually if you press the dealer they'll say, well, it's from the some supplier that makes them for FN.  That's probably true since there only one or two places that make the forgings.  You can get Colt, Bushmaster, etc. lowers that will all have an Alcoa Forge mark on them, but that doesn't mean that they are all the same quality.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 7:32:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I think the jury's still out on this one...

On one hand you have FNMI, who says they don't sell anything outside military channels, and that any FN items offered commercially are stolen, rejects or fakes.

On the other hand, you have folks like JT Distributing, who use the FN(R) trademark in their advertising (if they're not FN parts, why hasn't FNMI *nailed their a$$ to the wall?*). And you have Mouseomatic and others who have bought legitimate, genuine FN-marked barreled uppers from various places (gun shows, internet, etc).

I suspect the truth lies somewhere in between... both FNMI and the dealers who sell unmarked uppers as "FN" are probably fudging their stories a bit.

Whatever the truth is, I've built up 3 or 4 guns on these types of uppers and have had no problems. Matter of fact, they've been nicer in color/quality and fit than the Rock River upper I just bought. :-(

A program note - many of the places that advertise "FN" uppers are pairing them with non-chrome-lined, non-milspec barrels from Shaw, Wilson, etc., which is why they're so cheap. A real FN barrel will be chrome-lined, 1x7 twist, and will have an FNMI marking on it.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top