Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2002 5:35:36 PM EDT
I recently got a real good deal on a preban Colt so I had to jump on it.

Only problem is it isn't in a configuration that is alright, but not what I was wanting to build (it's a match H-BAR).

So I was thinking about selling the upper off of it and getting a different upper.

But how much would this devalue the rifle as a whole? Especialy if I were to put a Bushmaster upper on it?

I've even considered trading the rifle off on a preban Bushmaster, so as to keep this rifle in factory configuration. And to have a complete Bushy rifle when it's all said and done.

Does keeping everything together REALLY hold the value better?
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I sold my perfectly matching factory upper off of my Bushy preban, I hated to do it but it wasnt the configuration that I wanted, I dont think it devalues it, its the preban lower that is valuable anyway. Now my upper and lower arent a perfect color match, but it is in the config I want.  I say do it.

In my case I think it actually incresed the value, Would you rather but a preban bushy with an A2 upper and 16" hbar, or a Bushy with A3 upper, 14.5" m4 with a phantom FS.  Personally I think I would get more money for it now in the current configuration then the way it came from the factory, even though it is not in it's original configuration.

For someone who shoots their guns it doesnt matter, but for a collector it might.

Link Posted: 9/17/2002 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Shamus:

I kind'a think that you and I are in the same boat.  Though I probably didn't get the deal you seem to have gotten on your preban.

I look at it this way.  I was looking at a dot sight optic as an early Christmas gift.  Then I realized that I didn't want to hang it off a goosenec.  In fact, I didn't even want to invest the $150 in a decent gooseneck mount.

So, I'm now considering this.  Spending $500 on a new upper (in lieu of the dot sight for now), then adding the Eotech later but not having to buy an extra mount.  This will also give me a little bit of time to see how well the Tri-Power is received (if it is ever released).

Then, I'll have the preban A2 LW upper for my factory Colt carbine stored away.  When the Krime Bill sunsets with no replacement, then I reconfigure my Colt and add a cheap new lower with collapsable stock to the "new" upper.  Voila, now I have another AR15.

'Course, this is all still a theory....

YMMV

Link Posted: 9/17/2002 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#3]
With the whole pre-ban complete rifle thing going on I would just buy another upper and keep that one in the safe. It is not that much money and you might want a full 20" after your done 16ing around.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 5:24:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I would not split up the Colt.  Once you do, it is a Frankengun and the whole preban value thing is pretty much washed by the Frankengun offset.  Just get another upper from J&T or someone else for the configuration you want.  Then ya got a whole package.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top