Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/15/2002 4:40:38 PM EDT
Just got back from the range. My friend and I both purchased Bushmaster about 2 years ago.  I got a XM15 E2S Dissipator 16" Rifle, and my friend got the XM15 E2S 20" Rifle.  I have been out with my rifle few times and had no problem putting the rifle on paper.  My friend has been out vary little, and was always telling my bad the rifle shot to the right. Had to put a 3' x 6' pcs of cardboard up to find out just where it was shooting.  He is now on paper, but the rear sight is cranked all the way left.  What is going on with this rifle.  We changed up the ammo,mags, and shooters

Thank you in advance
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 4:45:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like the front sight is out-of-whack...See if you have set screws or some kind of screw that keeps the front site in-place...Loosen it/them and adjust it back into zero, you might have to take it back to the range to zero it...just remember to get your rear sight back in the center before you start.
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 4:50:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Heh, how long has he had this rifle and never zero'd it? Two years, wow.

Sounds like the upper needs to be sent back to bushy to be re-indexed.

Link Posted: 9/15/2002 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, that's way wrong.  

The front sight base is rotated around the
barrel a bit, I'm sure.  There are only two
ways to fix that problem.

One would be to get a new front sight base
from Fulton Armory (Bushmaster won't sell one to
you as a separate item because it needs
gunsmithing to install and they don't sell
gunsmithing required components separately)
and have a gunsmith install it on the existing
barrel. (Make sure you tell them what the barrel
profile is...measure it.)    Any good
machinist/gunsmith should be able to easily fit
the new sight base accurately enough to allow
for normal zeroing.  (Hell, I did it, and I only
took half a year's machine tools class.)

The second would be to get the barrel extension
replaced and re-indexed. This is a specialized
task that would require you to send the barrel
(better yet, the whole upper) back to Bushmaster
and let them handle it.   Extensions are always
individually matched to the barrel.

Bushmaster would probably just replace the barrel, and that's likely the best solution
anyway.   I think they'd cover it under warranty
because this isn't something that just HAPPENS
in the field.

CJ

Link Posted: 9/17/2002 10:04:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Heh, how long has he had this rifle and never zero'd it? Two years, wow.

Sounds like the upper needs to be sent back to bushy to be re-indexed.

Correct. Bushmaster shipped quite a few rifles that had barrels improperly torqued. They are fully aware of the problem and have taken steps to correct it. Even though the rifle is two years old, I would contact Bushmaster and request that they make it right. Tell them you read about this problem on AR15.com. They'll know what you're talking about.

You might want to post this in the Bushmaster forum and see what Jarrod has to say.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 4:20:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks to all for the info.  Bushmaster wanted the upper back to make it right and were sure it was the same indexing prob.  We got the RMA number today and will ship on fri.

bnred9
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top