Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2002 4:28:32 PM EDT
I think I have narrowed my m4gery choice to the bushmaster.  It looks like it comes in the A2 variety and the A3 Variety.  Could someone please help me with the advantages and disadvantages of both?
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#1]
A2 means fixed carry handle/A2 sights. A3 means "flattop" i.e. removable carry handle/A2 sights.

If you plan to put optics on your M4gery, you'll want the A3. Otherwise the A2 is a little lighter and doesn't have as many parts to fiddle with (on a flattop there are two big knobs at the base of the carry handle).
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 6:36:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I am also in the same boat as 12VoltMan (A2 vs. A3). I am very interested in using an Aimpoint Comp M2 sight. Are there any distinct disadvantages to mounting a sight like this on a gooseneck mount as opposed to directly on a flattop?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 7:03:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Go with the A3 option, it adds versatility and value to the carbine. No matter what you want to do today, one day someone will come up with a better mousetrap....The extra 6 ounces isn't worth the worry.

Link Posted: 9/16/2002 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am also in the same boat as 12VoltMan (A2 vs. A3). I am very interested in using an Aimpoint Comp M2 sight. Are there any distinct disadvantages to mounting a sight like this on a gooseneck mount as opposed to directly on a flattop?

Thanks.

There are three advantages to using the gooseneck on an A2 over mounting direclty to an A3

1) Iron Sights can't be forgotten and can't accidentally fall off.

2) Its cheaper - while you'll need to buy the $40 gooseneck mount - that is cheaper than the $80-$120 backup sights.

3) It pushes the Aimpoint further away from your eye.  This is a better position for shooting with both eyes open - it allows better situational awareness and quicker to get on target.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 12:55:40 PM EDT
[#5]
WAD - A3 flattop.

You can get A3 shorties or a 20" HBAR.

Your choice.  But I'm partial to the Shorty as an all around AR.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with Forest, go with the A2, you will still be able to put any optic that you want on it in the future, and you have great iron sights all ways instantly availble.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 7:02:45 PM EDT
[#7]
A3 is better in all respects IMHO.  For a magnified optic, the flat top is a must.  Otherwise, the optic is too high.  For a dot, I like being able to get my rear aprerture out of the way.  This enables you to see more.

A2 is OK with a dot optic, but still inferior to a flat top IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 7:35:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I was told that the gooseneck wouldn't fit out over the M4 handguards unless you took a dremel to the handguards or replaced them altogether.  Another reason the A3 might be a better way to go.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 6:52:41 AM EDT
[#9]
If you're using a Gooseneck AND the M4 handguards there is a simple solution.

Replace the upper handguard with the standard CAR type (single sheild).  You aren't using it anyway if you've got a gooseneck mount there.

BTW the Trijicon Reflex & Aimpoint Goosnecks DO work with M4 handguards.  Its the ARMS #39 (and the chineese copy) that won't work with the M4 type.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top