Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/5/2002 4:44:49 PM EDT
Heading to the local show this weekend, and will again look over the RRA rifles and carbines.  Appear to be "first class" and almost bought one at the last show.  The only thing that stopped me was that I could not tell if the RRA have chrome chambers and bores.  Have read that some of them are, but most of them are not.  How does one tell ? ? ?  Is it really necessary to have a chrome chamber and bore ? ?  Will use the new carbine (?) for local "shoots" and home defense.  Any ideas ? ? ?  Thanks  ! !
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Heading to the local show this weekend, and will again look over the RRA rifles and carbines.  Appear to be "first class" and almost bought one at the last show.  The only thing that stopped me was that I could not tell if the RRA have chrome chambers and bores.  Have read that some of them are, but most of them are not.  How does one tell ? ? ?  Is it really necessary to have a chrome chamber and bore ? ?  Will use the new carbine (?) for local "shoots" and home defense.  Any ideas ? ? ?  Thanks  ! !

Check the RRA website/know that the CMP rifles are stainless,others are "probably" chromed.Wilmington show??Going there SAturday,will have a BM A2 Flattop/Carry handle for sale....
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:11:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Rock River has a lot of non-stainless barrels which are not chrome lined. I am unsure if they are marking the barrels at all to tell the differnce. It would be a good idea for them to do so. And yeah, on anything you think may have the slightest chance on being anything other than a range gun, you want chrome. It aids in reliability, in addition to greatly increasing the life of the barrel and being very resistant to corrosion.

A Rock River with a chrome chamber and bore will be a nice set up.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:16:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Call them.

(309) 792 5780

Ask for Nancy.

If you buy a RRA as your first AR, it is the equivalent of your first car being a Lambroghini. Mine rocks.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#4]
If the barrel is not attached to the upper, or if you can manage to convince the seller to allow removal of the handguards you can check the stamp. It is located near the barrel nut, sometimes under it. C=chrome, #=twist. The barrels are made by Wilson, so there are no other markings.

Another method is to look at the barrel crown. If there is a silver-white ring around the muzzle, it is chromed. Sometimes is is not visible, or so slim a ring that it is difficult to see.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:44:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Chrome lined bores are to enhance barrel life for machineguns. They are much less accurate than chrome moly or stainless barrels. For accuracy stay away from chrome lined.  Basically is it impossible to get a uniform coating of hard chrome on the inside of a 1 or 20" hole !
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 10:58:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Rock River has a lot of non-stainless barrels which are not chrome lined. I am unsure if they are marking the barrels at all to tell the differnce. It would be a good idea for them to do so. And yeah, on anything you think may have the slightest chance on being anything other than a range gun, you want chrome. It aids in reliability, in addition to greatly increasing the life of the barrel and being very resistant to corrosion.

A Rock River with a chrome chamber and bore will be a nice set up.

Aw hell, a chromoly barrel is just fine even if you are going to be away from the ol' cleaning station for a while. I have left chromoly barrels dirty for weeks without a hint of corrosion. Getting wet is another issue though. How is a chrome lined barrel more reliable?

I remember some years ago you couldnt get an AR without a chrome lined barrel unless it was a special order. Now it has to be a special order to get a chrome lined barrel...go figure.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 10:40:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

How is a chrome lined barrel more reliable?

Chrome is naturally "slippery".  This will aid in extraction of the fired case.  Chrome is twice as hard as normal barrel steel, which translates into twice the barrel life.  Cleaning is easier with a chrome lined bore, and chamber.  Further you will not have to worry about rust in a moist environment.  Just something to think about.  

The reason most companies do not chrome there bores is to save money.  Some manufacturer leave the barrel non-chrome lined to increase accuracy potential.  This "possibility" of increased accuracy will not be noticeable between a Rock River Arms non-chrome lined barrel vs/ a Bushmaster that is Chrome lined.  Look at both options and decide what you want.

The Azalin
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I just don't understand why so many of us are so set on Chrome lined barrels?
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 5:16:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I just don't understand why so many of us are so set on Chrome lined barrels?

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm not 'set on chrome' but it does have a place. For general plinking, screwing around, SHTF and wasting whatever ammo I have available, chrome is the only way to go. As previously mentioned, it provides a level of 'slipperiness'  that improves reliability when using some surplus ammo. It also doesn't require the level of cleaning and wears less.

For accuracy/target shooting, chrome-moly, SS or other non-chrome versions offer slightly more accuracy. Since I'm using high quality (expensive) ammo or reloads and I'm only shooting 100 rds (vs 500+ when plinking), I don't have to worry about the slipperiness of the chamber. Also, my competition rifle gets a much better cleaning than the plinker.

From numbers I've seen posted, chrome-lined barrels last 20,000+ rds before showing signs of needing replacement, while with non-chrome lined, only 4-5000 rds before they start showing signs of accuracy problems.

For me, what it comes down to is the finances involved and the purpose the rifle is used for.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Chrome lined barrels are in no way MUCH less accurate. They are slighlty less accurate. The same shooter, with the same loads, and two exact rifles, one with chrome lining, the other without, will shoot very nearly the same group. Non-chrome lined may be .25 moa tighter. Most shooters will never even know the difference.

Chrome lined chamber DOES increase reliability potential. Chrome lined barres last WAY longer than ones that dont. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but these are not opinions, they are facts.

Chrome lining does not have to be special ordered from companies who make mil-spec type rifles. For instance, Armalite, Bushmaster or Colt. Chrome lining is pretty much standard on all of these rifles. (Colt's have chrome lined chambers but not bores on their HBAR's, and chrome lined chamber and bores on all military profile barrels). The only reason Rock River even started offering them is because there is such a high demand for chrome lining.

Super accurate tack drivers should avoid chrome. Absolutley. Anyone else, ESPECIALLY a gun that may be used to protect life, go chrome or go home!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top