Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/5/2002 2:11:09 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I've got a bushmaster factory camo ar-15 and just ordered an aimpoint scope for it. Now I am wanting to do something about the trigger. Can a gunsmith do a "trigger job" or is it necessary to swap it out with an aftermarket trigger assembly? I have read about 1 and 2 stage triggers and am completely confused. I am going to use this primarily for plinking and target shooting so I don't necessarily need a top of the line assembly but would like something that would make accuracy a little better. Also where do I buy these accessories or is it just a modification of the factory trigger? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-lee-
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 4:57:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I was lucky in that when I had my DPMS Bull Sweet sixteen ordered it came with a JP adjustable trigger already installed and set.  The pull is about 3.5-4lbs. (i dunno exactly as I do not have a trigger pull guage.  My friend has almost the same rifle, well it is except it does not have the adjuatable trigger and it is still good but not as smooth as mine. His feels like around 5 lbs. and pretty smooth.  This last weekend I got the opportunity to shoot a Bushmaster carbine and the trigger in it was about three times as stiff and not as smooth as what is in my rifle. I thought the safety was still on.

Sooooo, I can't help but recommend an aftermarket trigger for your rifle.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd buy an RRA Match trigger group for it - around $95. Drops right in and you'll love the result!
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 7:23:56 PM EDT
[#3]
What you can do with a stock trigger is pretty limited.  You can switch hammers and triggers to find a good combination.  This will help with horrible triggers, but will not get you anything great.  You can take steel wool to the hammer/trigger pins, but this will only help a little bit.  Generally, stoning the contact surfaces the hammer/trigger is a bad idea.  These parts are only surface hardened; once you take off the surface, bad things will happen.  The geometry of the whole system is just rotten for a light crisp trigger.  M16/AR triggers were made to be somewhat heavy, and it is nearly impossible to "fix" them.

You can try a set of lighter springs, which are cheap and only cost about $15.  An aftermarket trigger - which completely replaces the stock hammer and trigger - will cost $100 to $175.  I did not like the RRA, but others do.  Probably the finest trigger for your purposes is the Jewell.  It costs $175 from www.georgiaprecision.com.  I have also heard good things about the JP replacement trigger.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I just called Georgia Precision and the guy took a few minutes to explain how to install it. I think that is probably the way I'll end up going but would like a couple more comments before I go ahead and lay down 175 dollars on a trigger. Any good/bad comments about the jewel or any other brands that I need to consider? Thanks.

-lee-
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 11:01:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm gonna go with Gus on this one. I have a RRA 2 stage on a 16" in the shop and for the money, it's, well, money. You will not be dissapionted.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#6]
where do you buy the rra trigger? Is it available online? Thanks.

-lee-
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 11:09:55 AM EDT
[#7]
You can get them directly from RRA on line.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#8]
lee I just installed my accuracy speaks trigger last week and I am happy with it, It is a single stage trigger and I like everything about it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 1:56:07 PM EDT
[#9]

... I have read about 1 and 2 stage triggers and am completely confused. ...

Single-stage triggers are one steady pull that works the sear from the beginning.  They are generally preferred for "action" shooting.

Two-stage triggers have some take-up that doesn't move the sear, then some additional travel that does.  Since the second stage is just a little bit heavier than the first it feels really light once you get to it.  They're generally preferred for "target" shooting like DCM or NRA Highpower and varminting.

Many people like two-stage.  I prefer single-stage.

JP, Accuracy Speaks, and the factory triggers are single-stage.  Jewell and RRA are two-stage triggers.  JP & Jewell have set-screws to get perfect adjustments so they're great for target/game guns.  RRA and AS don't, and thus are preferred for "work" guns because they can't come loose and jam up.

A gunsmith can do some work on the trigger, but any of the aftermarket triggers will be much better.  Depends on how much you can afford and what you like.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 3:35:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
JP, Accuracy Speaks, and the factory triggers are single-stage.  Jewell and RRA are two-stage triggers.  JP & Jewell have set-screws to get perfect adjustments so they're great for target/game guns.  RRA and AS don't, and thus are preferred for "work" guns because they can't come loose and jam up.

That's why I recommended the RRA - it drops right in, is a HUGE improvement over any standard or military grade trigger, and has no set screws or adjustments to come loose. If it were a match rifle, I'd say the Jewell is probably the best setup.

Edited to add - if you go to the Equipment Exchange, under AR Parts, Pete-in-NH sells the RRA trigger for $95.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#11]
You can also root around on the ARMALITE site and there is a decent primer on tuning the stock pos trigger.  BTW, I use the JP in my ar15, and the Armalite NM 2 stage in my 10t

TXLEWIS
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 4:57:08 AM EDT
[#12]
I went with the jewell from GP. One feature that
I really like is that one end of a spring lays in a notched wheel and you can just pop open the
upper from the lower,reach in and snap this spring into a different notch. Low end supper
light (1.75#?) for benchrest type stuff up to
3.5-4Lb on the heavy side.I really like this feature and you can return to any trigger type
you want in a quick minute.You can also see just where you are set just looking at the notched wheel. Jewell is just supper crisp and sweet on all settings.I am real cheep and this is a pile
of money for a scary small little envelope of
parts but I am very glad I put this trigger on
my bushy.It came with a stock trigger that truthfully was quite nice but this jewell will
make you a better rifle shooter than you thought you were!
   I have shot some run and gun type courses
and made hits that just would not have happened
before-A great trigger is a huge deal!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 5:05:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I'll also say the RRA trigger!
I haven't got it for myself yet, but have fired any AR with one.
VERY SMOOTH & SWEET!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 5:34:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the info guys. I just ordered an RRA 2 stage trigger. Hopefully it'll be exactly what I need. Thanks again.

-lee-
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 4:46:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Check out www.williamstriggerspecialties.com
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top