Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2002 8:08:25 AM EDT
Before I knew a damn thing about ARs, I bought a DPMS 16" stainless bull barrel 1 in 8 twist flattop with a Harris bipod and a big scope.  I love the rifle, but now that I know a bit more, I'm wondering about the real-world tactical applicability of such a rig.  

I'm just a wee bit paranoid, so I'm looking for a setup that will best suit my defensive needs when IT hits the fan.  I pitched the scope and purchased the Trijicon ACOG TA01NSN, which suits my barrel quite well.  My question is: should I axe the bipod in favor of a forward pistol grip?  I am leaning towards the pistol grip, as this seems to be favored by many of the tactical types, and may make more sense than the bipod for quick tactical purposes.

Second question: if I go with the pistol grip, which handrail system would you recommend?  I have been looking at both the ARMS S.I.R. System and the Knights FF RAS, though I know the Knights are hard to come by.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 8:18:32 AM EDT
[#1]
You're better off with the bipod.  The forward grip is only useful in CQB, and even then you can do without it.  The bipod, however, is very useful, since standing up and waiting to be shot is highly overrated.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 8:22:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Unless you are shooting from prone the bipod is useless.  Unless you are doing CQB IMHO the forward pistol grip is useless.  You need to decide what you want your rifle to be used for.  Also IMHO the ACOG TA01NSN is not a great choice for CQB.  (I know, I have one.)  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input.  I know that the TA01NSN is not designed for CQB, and with the 16" 1x8 bull barrel, I'm much more designed for the midrange.  Still considering replacing the bipod with the pistol grip, however....

And, please don't worry about the handrail question.  I discovered an earlier thread that asked this question and it got quite ugly.  Don't wanna start that war again.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 9:29:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Just as watchsix said, 2 different applications.

I say ditch the Bi-pod and make it a CQB, since it's a 16".

If it was 20" I would say the opposite.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top