Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/26/2002 2:21:49 PM EDT
At first I wanted a Les Baer for accuracy, then I was turned to the much nicer priced and perhaps performing Varminteer by Bushy, Now Im again at 1st step, Im not sure if I want a 24 inch Barell, And I would like to have the option of adding a flashlight, or even A carry handle. So now im leaning towards a V Match with the 16 inch barrel, Just wondering if I can turn that into one of those "space Guns"? Im new to the this type of rifle so by reading all the other post im trying to learn all the different terms,  (AR. AK, M4,) So maybe you guys can tell me which rifle im describing, I want short Barrell, Accuracy, and the ability to add addons. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#1]
The Bushmater barrel on the VMatch is a good one, but it is chrome lined with a military chamber so you are not going to get the best accuracy.  Still good, but other barrels would be a bit better.

The aluminum free float tube is probably also not the best option for adding flashlights, etc.  It is heavy and is not very good at dissipating heat either.  Seems to me one of the tubes made by Knights or ARMS might be better for you.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#2]
buy three or more different AR's like everyone else! whatsamattahwidju?
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#3]
How could you jump from 16 to 24 inches?

I suggest you write down the qualities you want, then maybe a rifle could be suggested.
So write down accuracy is very important or slightly important.  I want light weight. etc.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 8:10:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe you should read my post again, I believe I stated what "qualities" I wanted.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 8:19:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Do more research on the topic.  Sounds like you want one rifle that will do every thing.  Just like shoes, one does not fit all.  I have a Bushmaster 20 inch post ban rifle.  It does every thing I need it to.  It does not have a flash light or any other do dads that seam to be the fad these days.  Why?  Because it is a survival weapon which equals bare minimum, and I enjoy the challenge of good old iron sights at the range.  If I wanted something to be knocking doors down with and had about $10,000 my smith has a nice pre-ban with every device known to man mounted on a knights RAS front hand guard.  My 20 inch cost $800 and it is a tool I would gladly depend on.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm first and foremost a varmint shooter. I bought a Colt CAR6724 first. Great piece IMHO. Shoots my favorite 40 grain handload into 1/4 inch 25% of the time, 3/8 inch most of the time and 1/2 inch with my eyes closed. That being said I found the 24 inch barrel a hinderence in the brushy, tree country of western Oregon. I bought a 16 inch Bushmaster V-Match. Shoots the same load the same way. I can't comment on "spaceguns" but you can put about any upper on a "mil-spec" lower. Oh, buy the way, Both Ar's box stock except for triggers, JP ENTERPRISES in the Colt, Jewell in the Bushie. Love them both, but I like single stage best. Hope this helps!!!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 10:22:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the short 16" barrels.  Quick handling, but they do give up some velocity.  This is only an issue (TO ME) in the heavy barrel flat-top that I use with a 4-14x scope for varmints. This one is a post ban DMPS Panther Bull 16, and it shoots wondefully with everything bone stock.  My other AR is a Colt Sporter Lightweight (pre-ban) that I shoot with the issue A2 iron sights.  The 20" barrel AR's are okay too, and probably the best all around length.  But to me when you go 24" barrel it is no longer an assault rifle but a big long semi-auto sporting rifle with all the bad rap of an AR15 yet none of the handling qualities.  If you really need all that velocity maybee a bolt-action would be a better bet?  
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Split the difference and go with a 20" tube.  This is the standard length, and still the most versatile.  If you want accuracy, go with a DCM.  Otherwise, for field use I recommend the standard A2 or the 20" A4 for flattop versatility.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 4:11:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 4:44:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Okay, I want a rifle for close Quarter use, So what carbine is best suited for this? Will 8 inches take away that much accuracy from a rifle? I have been to the Bushmaster site, but still cant tell the difference between all the rifles besides the barrell lengths, Such as M4 and A2 whats the difference? Thanks for all the post guys.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Go for an M4 for CQB. The 14.5" Barrel length vs. velocity will be irrelevant at less than 50 yards. The A3 option will allow for the highest number of sight configurations.
I would also recommend an aimpoint for CQB as it allows heads up, parallax free, two eyes open target acquisition, for excellent situational awareness.  M4A3 is also quite light for faster maneuvering.
The Bushy M4A3 will need a few tweaks. The genuine Colt double lined M4 handguards are a big improvement, and a Hougue Grip too, is a excellent upgrade over the stock item.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top