Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/23/2002 5:35:29 PM EDT
Hey guys....I'm new to the board and I hope this is the best forum here to post this....there are so many other ones here, I wasn't sure if this was the best one to post it.

Okay, here goes.  I recently rebuilt two (2) pre ban ARs.  One was a Bushmaster, the other a Colt large hole lower.  The Colt got a Bushmaster 11.5 inch barrel upper with the longer flash hider to make it 16 inch legal.  It also got a Bushmaster collapsing stock.  The stock and upper were not new.  The stock fits great...no slop or play, tight all around.

The Bushmaster lower was rebuilt using a brand new Bushmaster M-4 upper with a 14.5 inch barrel and Phantom flash hider to make it 16 inch legal.  I also put a brand new Bushmaster collapsing stock on it.

Here's the problem:  the brand new collapsing stock has a HUGE amount of slop/play in it.  I mean nasty.  When I looked at the pin/screw in the lever that when depressed allows the stock to travel to and fro,  I noticed it had a roll pin in it to keep it from coming off.

How the devil do I get this stock to fit snuggly like my other one?  Am I hoping for something that just won't happen?  Any advice you guys can give me would be much appreciated...I'd hate to think I've spent almost $5000 and end up with a loose stock.

Link Posted: 8/26/2002 7:48:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Okay, I guess this was the wrong place to ask a question.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 8:32:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Patience grasshopper. The entire website was down for two days. You can ask ANYTHING about AR15s in this forum and get a quick answer. (Unless the site was down ) I have no experience with collapsible stocks because they are BANNED in NJ. Let me ask a few questions. Is the stock new? Can you return it the the place of purchase? Maybe you can call the manufacturer of the stock and they can help you. Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#3]
How much can you move the stock?

If the stock itself is ok, and just moving a little, and you dont think its worth returning for a different one, just take some moving tape (the really sticky clear stuff) and put a few strips of it on the buffer tube.

It will stop all the play in the stock...
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Also, is it the new or old style tele stocks?
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 3:58:13 PM EDT
[#5]
The stock is the older style.  This is very perplexing to me, as the older one I have came from Bushmaster as well.  However, it doesn't have a roll pin through the screw like the new one does.  It fits tight.  I was wondering, does anyone else have a tele stock that has a good deal of play in it?  I guess I'm just a 'stickler' in that I want it to be as close to 100% as possible.  

I just don't want to go through the hassle of taking it off and returning it.  I was just curious if maybe I was missing something really simple that maybe one of ya'll knew about.  The tape idea is the best I've heard so far.

Thanks.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top