Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2002 11:09:50 PM EDT
Hey I was wondering if anyone makes an A1 version of the AR with teardrop forward assist,triangle handguards ect???
If not who stocks parts,that kind of stuff?
Thanks,
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 8:05:16 PM EDT
[#1]
A1 uppers show up as surplus from time to time. I bought a complete  unissued Colt M-16A1 upper(everything but the bolt group) from CDNN investments in Dec. of 01. The only difference between it and the A1's I used in the USMC is that this one has a black finish not grey. I matched it to an RRA lower with surplus A1 furniture and I must admit it is one sweeeeet AR-15A1! I know you've got to have one. I hope you find what your looking for.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 9:23:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds sweet!! How about a pic?
Link Posted: 8/25/2002 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Sounds sweet!! How about a pic?

I don't have a digicam. or scanner. There is a place in Arizona called Azex arms I believe. They make a complete A1 style AR(post ban) I think the price is over $800.00. I've got about $560.00 in mine. www.azexarms.com I just looked at their site. It's more of the SP1 style (no F/A) and it's close to $900.00. These guys must be on peyote. You can buy a near new Colt SP1 for not much more than that.
Link Posted: 8/25/2002 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#4]
what are the differences between an A1 and A2?
Link Posted: 8/25/2002 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#5]
A1 and A2 when refering to AR15's is usually a reference to the outward appearence in relation to the M-16A1 and M-16A2. I'll make a brief comparison off the top of my head

Barrel:

M16A1 full length light weight. 1/12 twist. Bird cage flash suppressor held with a lock washer. Triangular hand guards. Flat hand guard ring.

M16A2 Light weight under the hand guards heavy at the front. 1/7 twist. Combination compensator and flash suppressor adjustable with crush washers. Round hand guards. Beveled hand guard ring (aka delta ring)

Upper receiver/Sights:

M16A1 front adjustable for elevation. Rear adjustable for windage. Tear drop forward assist.

M16A2 Front adjustable for elevation. Rear adjustable for elevation and windage. Brass deflector. Round forward assist

Lower receiver:

M16A1 capable of semi-auto and full auto fire. Non finger groove pistol grip. Butt plate is smooth with a checkered trap door.

M16A2 capable of semi-auto and three round burst. Reinforced the receiver extension. finger groove pistol grip. Butt stock is 5/8th inch longer than M16A1. Butt plate is fully checkered.

Those are the major differences between the two.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 6:44:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Most of the current A1 uppers being sold are in reality Canadian C7 uppers. Which use A1 sights, forward assist and have the shell deflector. The Canadians never adopted the A2 sights as far as I know. Once sighted in the A1s are way more durable and harder to knock out of alignment. The 5.56 shoots flat enough not to need sight readjustment for its effective range on man sized targets.

Real A1 uppers do not have a shell deflector, just the A1 sights and forward assist.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top