Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2016 10:39:58 AM EDT
This might sound a bit stupid, but I can't help but think I did something wrong on my practice rifle. I use a Pro-Shot rod that I really like but my bore guide wasn't the best, so maybe that was it, but whenever I removed the patch and jag, there was still enough flex in the rod for it to slide along the bottom of the barrel when I pulled it back through. Is there a muzzle device or certain technique I should use?

I stepped up to a much nicer rifle so I'm planning on a Lucas bore guide which should help a bit but I really want to do the maintenance correctly to protect this investment.

As a note: I was using a coated rod. I'm considering a Stainless for the rigidity, but the fact that I was already seeing contact with the bottom of the barrel is making me a bit squeamish about that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Obrez:
This might sound a bit stupid, but I can't help but think I did something wrong on my practice rifle. I use a Pro-Shot rod that I really like but my bore guide wasn't the best, so maybe that was it, but whenever I removed the patch and jag, there was still enough flex in the rod for it to slide along the bottom of the barrel when I pulled it back through. Is there a muzzle device or certain technique I should use?

I stepped up to a much nicer rifle so I'm planning on a Lucas bore guide which should help a bit but I really want to do the maintenance correctly to protect this investment.

As a note: I was using a coated rod. I'm considering a Stainless for the rigidity, but the fact that I was already seeing contact with the bottom of the barrel is making me a bit squeamish about that.
View Quote

It seems like most of your problems could be solved by using a bore-snake instead of a rod.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#2]
...or pull the rod from the muzzle end.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:07:14 PM EDT
[#3]
This is the precision rifle forum, right?
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:20:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll toss my two cents out here...

Having a clean one piece stainless steel rod contacting the bore of the barrel should not cause any problems.  It hasn't for me over the years.

What I have found is that having an aluminum, coated, or sectioned cleaning rod does cause problems.  Here's why. Aluminum and coated rods are soft, much softer than your barrel.  When you use those rods hard particles and grit can become embedded in the rod.  The next time you use those rods those particles and grit will act like sand paper on your barrel, not good.

Sectioned rods can have the same problem with stuff getting lodged in the small interface between sections.

In general I stay with one piece stainless rods and don't worry if the rod touches the bore.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 10:05:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Coated rods are fine. No need to change to a SS rod. Just pull the rod back through. No big deal. I wipe it off as it comes back out. The coated rod usually has a bronze portion that is at the end and also the jag should be bronze as well so shouldn't damage the bore. Never damaged mine in the past 20+ years.
View Quote

This. ^^^

8541 Tactical

The guy in the video used to post here. Good guy, lots of knowledge.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top