Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2014 2:16:12 AM EDT
I have a Remington 700 barreled action in stainless steel.  It has not been media-blasted.  I'd like to Cerakote it with the air-dry version.  However, I don't feel like buying a sandblasting cabinet just for this

Is there an alternative suggested way to prep the surface for the Cerakote application?  Or will the cerakote adhere without roughing up the surface first?
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 9:33:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Your finished product will only be as good as the prep work. Blasting will provide a "tooth" for the finish to adhere to.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By spartacus2002:
I have a Remington 700 barreled action in stainless steel.  It has not been media-blasted.  I'd like to Cerakote it with the air-dry version.  However, I don't feel like buying a sandblasting cabinet just for this

Is there an alternative suggested way to prep the surface for the Cerakote application?  Or will the cerakote adhere without roughing up the surface first?
View Quote

Micro-texturing with a high intensity laser apparatus maybe?

Although that would be MUCH more costly than just having it blasted... have you tried stopping by a blasting/paint shop to see if they would run it through the blaster quick?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I cerakote every day. You really need to get it sandblasted. I'm sure there is a shop near you that can do it $10-20 especially if you bring it with everything plugged and ready for blasting. 120grit aluminum oxide is recommended. After blasting clean with acetone or lacquer. Also, depending on how tight the action is you may neee to tap areas off like bolt lugs.
Good luck,
If you got more questions feel free to IM/email me.
-Ben
www.spartanarms.net
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top