Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2015 9:11:23 PM EDT
I am new to checking headspace. Bare with me. I checked headspace in an AR10 I built with a go-guage. I can get the bolt to close on it but it's very tight. So tight I can't get the bcg back with the charging handle. I guess I'm on the good side of the problem. But is it safe to fire? Is it short-chambered? What are my options? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 5:38:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hockeysew] [#1]
Was the bolt stripped of the extractor and ejector when you checked it? It should be.
When checking HS you should only need moderate thumb pressure to close the bolt, no unreasonable force required.

Snug is OK, too tight a HS can be a problem, you don't want to see an over pressure situation.
If you elect to fire the weapon check the brass for signs of over pressure.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 8:47:05 PM EDT
[#2]
The bolt was stripped. How do i check brass for overpressure? I'm not a reloader. I do have calipers though.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 6:28:08 PM EDT
[#3]
308 Go Gauge or 7.62*51 Go Gauge?
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 8:54:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ARhabit:
View Quote

If there is the least bit of force required to close the bolt with the Go-Gauge then you need more headspace.
a) you might be able to get away with it in a bolt rifle,
b) you can get away with it if you do all your own loads.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:15:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Make sure the chamber is scrubbed super clean, with a brush and CLP, or something of that nature.....try some factory loaded ammunition, chamber a factory loaded round and see it it extracts with minimal effort........If it wont extract with minimal effort I would be concerned a little........I assume the BCG wont close on a "no-go" gauge
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 10:58:44 AM EDT
[#7]
i would rather have tight headspace than loose. i load my own so it doesn't make much difference to me. carefully chamber a factory round and see if  the bolt locks up, it should. as far as it being hard to extract, that could be due to it needing break-in. jmo

Bruce
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:10:15 AM EDT
[#8]
What happens if the bolt closes very easily on a no-go gauge? I am building an Aero M5 and have a Ballistic advantage barrel and an Aero BCG.  I tried the no-go gauge as well as commercial Federal .308 and surplus 7.62x51 nato and the bolt closes on everything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top