Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2015 4:01:43 PM EDT
And I was just hoping to clarify some stuff regarding FGGM 175 ammo.

From what I was told by the vendor, they received basically the very last of a lot, and the very beginning of the next lot at the same time, right when Federal hit the limit of # of rounds pumped out in a lot.  So in essence, they went from a lot ending in 93, started lot ending in 94 and then shipped the last of the 93 and the first of the 94 at the same time, hence why I got some of both.

I didn't catch the change in the lots until after I had mixed about 150 rounds of the stuff and was initially pretty mad at myself for not catching it.

However, after doing some poking around, I've found that its not a big deal since there really is no physical change once one lot ends, and another begins.

I have heard that the same lot of ammo can have more variation from start to finish of the same number, versus just a number change due to maxing out the limit of catridges produced per lot, and then just changing the number.

Is this true, or do they do a major "retooling" when they end a lot and start another?  I'm really not in the loop on ammo production, so Im not sure if any variation really would occur, or when it would occur.  Either way, nothing I can measure seems different, at all.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#1]
FGMM is akin to Johnny Walker Scotch, which employs master blenders to make sure that the production lots for say...JW Black, taste the same from batch to batch.

I would think that Federal does a similar thing with their lots by employing qualified ballisticians, who test the stuff out, thereby minimizing lot to lot variations.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ChrisGarrett:
FGMM is akin to Johnny Walker Scotch, which employs master blenders to make sure that the production lots for say...JW Black, taste the same from batch to batch.

I would think that Federal does a similar thing with their lots by employing qualified ballisticians, who test the stuff out, thereby minimizing lot to lot variations.

Chris
View Quote

So what you're saying is, I can't use the "well my groups suck because I mixed my lots" excuse and will be solely to blame for my lousy groups?  
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:15:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Marksman14:

So what you're saying is, I can't use the "well my groups suck because I mixed my lots" excuse and will be solely to blame for my lousy groups?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Chris

What caliber are you shooting out of what gun at what distance?

If .223 at 50 yards out of an M4... you will never know it... if you are shooting a match grade .308 at 1000 yards on a day with zero cross wind, it will probably be noticeable (even with match grade ammo)

(Assuming you can shoot as well as the platform you are shooting)
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By DasRonin:

If .223 at 50 yards out of an M4... you will never know it... if you are shooting a match grade .308 at 1000 yards on a day with zero cross wind, it will probably be noticeable (even with match grade ammo)

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DasRonin:

Chris

KAC ECR .308 600m max distance.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:10:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Arrrgh...

I will suggest you try firing some groups and check if they are bigger than usual.

Is there anything that might make it so you can visually see a difference ? Primer sealer ? maybe headstamp... ( I know that is a long shot.. but )

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:48:33 PM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes

Chris

I was going to say that I probably wouldn't be using that ammo in formal competition, but if one had to use it to save their life, I'm sure that it would be fine.  Still, might be better suited to practice ammo, or ammo you use when you take friends shooting.

Good luck.

Chris

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:56:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I sent federal an email.  Ill advise as to what they say.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top