Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2014 2:52:51 AM EDT
Everywhere I have searched for the Vortex Viper PST6-24x50 FFP (or the 4-16x50 FFP) scope, the prices are all identical.  I know I'm not the greatest internet sleuth ever, but I have not found evidence of past sales on these models either.  So my question is:  Does this particular line of scopes stay continually at MSRP ($950 for 6-24 and $900 for 4-16), or do sales sporadically occur?  This is a relatively large expenditure for me, so I won't mind (too much) waiting for a better deal if I have to.

Background:  I would like to finally acquire a relatively nice scope to temporarily mount on precision oriented AR (18" Spikes Lothar Walther barrel and YHM TI suppressor) before permanently transferring to a yet-to-be-acquired 308 bolt gun.  I am adopting the buy-once-cry-once policy (within reason), and would like a scope with repeatable turrets with zero-stop, mil adjustments, a mil-dot style FFP reticle, and variable magnification that would be useful for both limited predator hunting and target/varmint shooting out to (most likely no more than) 600 yards.  The AR currently hosts an old NCStar 6-24x50, and while I do not trust the scope for long-term use, I have found that I enjoy the high magnification range.

The Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP (with either the EBR-1 or EBR-2C reticle) seems to be the best candidate, with the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP in second.  If there are strong objections to these choices given the criteria, or other options I am overlooking, I would appreciate to hear your opinions also.

Thank you for your help!
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 2:55:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Ive never seen them drop. But selling them is a pain in the ass from my experience. IM inbound.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 8:00:44 AM EDT
[#2]
You might take a look at the Burris XTR II. Everything the PST offers, with reportedly better glass, 34mm tube, mechanical zero stop, and other goodies. They do retail for a little more, but by all accounts its a minor upgrade well worth making.

I hope to have one on the way shortly to find out for sure.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 8:12:33 AM EDT
[#3]
MSRP is actually $1049, Vortex has pretty tightly controlled MAP.  It is tough to get a deal on new below that  
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#4]
AA Optics had some pretty deep discounts on FFP Vortex scopes around Black Friday and early December.

I bought my Viper FFP 4-16x50 from them.  Great service.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 10:59:16 AM EDT
[#5]
If you call around you can get a deal over the phone at some places. Everyone has to advertise them for the same because of MAP pricing.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Cameralandny
"From now thru the 24th of January we will give you 10% all Sports Optics (new, demo and open box are included, Deal of the Day Specials are not included in this extra 10% promotion.) and Photo Gear (subject to mfg terms. Some mfg policies will not allow this) Please call in your order or just type Moving Sale in the note area of your web order and we will refund the 10% back to you (on participating mfg. orders). Please feel free to call to confirm participating manufacturers."
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 3:14:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Scheels  had the MOA model priced a $100 off the week before Christmas.  ($849)  I don't know if they are still on sale, and I don't think it included the mil version if that's what you want.

Haven't really seen it cheaper anywhere else.  Brownells had a 10% for Black Friday.

6x is a lot of magnification on the low end which results in a limited field of view.   For you stated purpose, I'd think a 4-16 or even a 3-15 might work better.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 9:17:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, sales do occur typically during holidays. Primary Arms had 15% off last Memorial day. A few places had 15% off on Black Friday.
The best I have seen was Dicks's Sporting that had them for 25% off on Black Friday.

I just purchased a 6x24x50 scope and ended up with a Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50 FFP G2 DMR reticle non-illuminated. I like the G2 Reticles and the glass is better than the Vortex PST IMO.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RTSE4ME:
Yes, sales do occur typically during holidays. Primary Arms had 15% off last Memorial day. A few places had 15% off on Black Friday.
The best I have seen was Dicks's Sporting that had them for 25% off on Black Friday.

I just purchased a 6x24x50 scope and ended up with a Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50 FFP G2 DMR reticle non-illuminated. I like the G2 Reticles and the glass is better than the Vortex PST IMO.
View Quote

What did you pay for that Bushnell tactical?
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I paid $670 shipped. I found one on GB that was  brand new sealed box.
Amazon has them on sale for $778
http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Tactical-Reticle-Riflescope-6-24x50mm/dp/B006UKMDFO

They do have illuminated  versions but not with the G2 reticle.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 1:10:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the helpful replies guys.

Originally Posted By snackgunner:
Cameralandny
"From now thru the 24th of January we will give you 10% all Sports Optics (new, demo and open box are included, Deal of the Day Specials are not included in this extra 10% promotion.) and Photo Gear (subject to mfg terms. Some mfg policies will not allow this) Please call in your order or just type Moving Sale in the note area of your web order and we will refund the 10% back to you (on participating mfg. orders). Please feel free to call to confirm participating manufacturers."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By snackgunner:
Cameralandny

Now that's what I'm talking about  Using this I was able to get a demo Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 from Cameralandny for $720.  I'm pretty happy with that price considering the consensus on MAP pricing.

The Burris XTR II does look like an even better scope (at least that's what a snipershide forum seemed to think), but given the price difference I think the Vortex was the way to go for now.

Originally Posted By LRShooter:
6x is a lot of magnification on the low end which results in a limited field of view.   For you stated purpose, I'd think a 4-16 or even a 3-15 might work better.

The thought kept crossing my mind.  I think the 6-24 will be fine for the eventual bolt gun, but this will be a test run on the AR for now.  Thanks for confirming my suspicions, I guess I'll see if it's totally overkill or not

I can't wait to try it out when it gets here.  Thanks again for all the help
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 11:44:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By RFutch:
If you call around you can get a deal over the phone at some places. Everyone has to advertise them for the same because of MAP pricing.
View Quote

This. 10% off is easy to find.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 12:57:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Call Scott at Liberty Optics, and prepare to marvel at the price he quotes you
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By glock24:
View Quote

Came here to post this.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:03:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been very happy with my PST's.   Love the FFP and the mil/mil set up.  Accuracy has been top notch.  The only complaints I have is the shim based zero lock system (minor since it's one and done)  and screw based reset to zero turrets (more of a PITA).  But for the money these cost you can't get every nice bell and whistle.

Cameralandny is GTG after making a few buys from them over the last couple of years.  What I've received the only way I could tell it was a demo unit was the occasional fingerprint on the manual in the box.  The scopes themselves were pristine without a mark on them and the box included everything you'd expect down to the tie tack / lapel pin.

FYI on this particular purchase, I just had to send a same model PST back to Vortex for repair.  The reticule spun about 10 degrees on me off vertical during shooting about 3 weeks ago.   They repaired of course, no charge, no questions.  They ended up replacing the erector tube.   Took about 10 days to get it back from the day I shipped.  Second repair I've had with Vortex, first was entirely my fault, rifle fell onto concrete from the bench.  They fixed that as well, no charge, no cost.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:24:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ARmory04:

Came here to post this.

View All Quotes

Came here to post this.

You can also place it the cart to see the price.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:37:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By xXGearheadXx:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By xXGearheadXx:

Came here to post this.

You get a much better price if you call.  The price over the phone is not the same as putting it in your cart.  At least not for me...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top