Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2017 3:23:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: yekcoh]
I took my all brand new DMR this morning.

Larue LT104 and a Leupold optic..

I was very excited. Seeing all the tight groups while zeroing was a joy... until after about 20th shot, I noticed the scope canted in the ring.

Maybe I didn't tighten enough so I re tightened with the star shaped wrench that came with the mount. I was able to tighten.

Nonetheless, the scope still canted in the same direction after a few succeeding rounds. I got mad and came home. Realigned the reticle then tightened more.

My eye balls are literally hurting from aligning the reticle and I would crap my pants if I had to realign the reticle again. At this point, I might as well just weld the scope to the mount, joke.

Is there any agent I can apply around the ring to prevent the scope from rotating/canting without unscrewing?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:24:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#1]
1) Are the rings the right size for the scope tube (I assume so)?

2) Did you use an appropriate torque wrench/driver to torque the ring screws to the appropriate amount recommended by the manufacturer of the rings?

3) Did you use a thread locker (loctite blue) on the ring screws?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:55:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: yekcoh] [#2]
1) Are the rings the right size for the scope tube (I assume so)?
1 inch yes

2) Did you use an appropriate torque wrench/driver to torque the ring screws to the appropriate amount recommended by the manufacturer of the rings?
I did when I first got it but then I remember the gun falling off from the table shifting the scope backward. Maybe that did something. After that I kept tightening it more and more until today when I took it out to the range and realized that the scope is loose.

3) Did you use a thread locker (loctite blue) on the ring screws?
Larue tactical sends screws with red loctite on the thread
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:55:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By yekcoh:
...Did you use an appropriate torque wrench/driver to torque the ring screws to the appropriate amount recommended by the manufacturer of the rings?
I did when I first got it but then I remember the gun falling off from the table shifting the scope backward. Maybe that did something.
View Quote
I think you might be onto something here...  I would be tempted to take the scope out of the rings and take a caliper to the scope tube...  check the diameter in several places along the length of the tube - and at each place, spin the scope to see if it is "out of round" - if it is, the caliper measurement will vary as you spin (rotate) the scope.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:01:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Reorx:
I think you might be onto something here...  I would be tempted to take the scope out of the rings and take a caliper to the scope tube...  check the diameter in several places along the length of the tube - and at each place, spin the scope to see if it is "out of round" - if it is, the caliper measurement will vary as you spin (rotate) the scope.
View Quote
Just checked and the variance is within 100th of an inch
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I've coated rings with a thin layer of rubber cement before. It eliminates ring marks. Never had an issue with it.

Make sure you are using a arisaka type tool if you can. It makes the process alot easier.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the suggestions.

It turns out I made a retarded mistake. I put the screws in the wrong hole.

Both Leupold and Larue said painter's tape or any sort of insert is unnecessary.

Thanks people.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:44:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Glad you got it sorted out and let us know!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:02:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Took out to the range.

It doesn't seem to be canting anymore.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Tally Ho!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top