Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2016 6:16:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gotigers]
I was looking for a scope to replace the Vortex PST 4-16x50 SFP on my 5r .308. A friend and member here, SuperJlarge, suggested the Sightron S3 6-24x50. I did some homework and decided to fo. Thanks SJL.

I found it on sale a Optics Planet. I called and they gave me another 10% off. I got it for $755 delivered. I ordered Tuesday and received it today.  It came double boxed with plenty of bubble stuff to protect it. Optics Planet gets a +1 for this deal and delivery.

The glass is more clear than any scope I have owned (I haven't had many more expensive scopes). The turret clicks are firm and audible. Side focus is firm but smooth. The ocular focus is firm. Mag adjustment is very firm, but not difficult, with a zoom lever it will be perfect. I get 275 1/10 mill clicks in both windage and elevation. That is 27.5 mil. With a 20MOA base, I should easily have enough elevation for 1100 yards with my loads.

More after I get it to the range.

The lower left ghost is a reflection from a light behind me. Nothing wrong with the glass. Best pic I could get of the reticle. wind had everything shaking.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:28:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DasRonin] [#1]
------
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:32:55 AM EDT
[#2]
update in OP
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:29:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey, could you do me a favor? I need someone to check that model scope for click adjustment value. Yes it says 1/10mil but different companies seem to occasionally have different ideas of what a mil is.

Sightron and Leupold use 1.09 inches per MOA at 100yrds as their standard while most others use 1.05 inches per MOA at 100 yards. This nets about a 4% difference in click value. Not an issue at modest ranges but at super long range it's catastrophic.

Could you set your rifle up with a tall target at 50 or 100 yards and test out how much vertical travel you get from 200 clicks? I'd be willing to drop a modest reward on you for your efforts. I need these values to keep my ballistics application up to date (http://ballisticxlr.com).
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 8:18:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gotigers] [#4]
Edit: The sheet that came with my Sightron for mil, shows 3.6" per mil at 100 yards.

If i do the 200 click test i will past it later.

Edit. See SJL's post below
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Glad to hear that it looks to be working out for you. The parallax djustment is typically stiff, but it will loosen slightly with use.

Ballisticxlr, have you tested Sightrons and determined that they used 1.09 inches per MOA? Their website references 1.047", which is what I would expect. I've never used their MOA offerings, so I don't know if there is a discrepancy between what's listed and what they actually use. My Mrad's have tracked along with my ballistic calculator. First round impacts at 525, 700 and 900yds. Targets were 1.5 MOA at 525, and 66% ipsc at the other ranges.

SIII FFP MOA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top