Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2016 10:08:47 PM EDT
Sorry this is in this forum, I wasn't sure where to post a bino question but I figured precision rifle guys would have a leg up on higher-end glass than maybe some of the other areas on arf.

I am looking at 10x42 (ish) binos, in the $200 +/- range.  I am presently comparing the older Steiner Hunter (on Midway for under $200 clearance) to the Leupold Acadia 10x42 ($197) and the Vortex Diamondback 2 ($229)

All have essentially the same features and fall into my price range.  I do not have a place that I can go to get hands (eyes) on all of these, so I am hoping some of you in the fold might be able to help me out.

My guy says Steiner, but then Midway has them on clearance because they are a discontinued model, and the (maybe) more modern Leupold and Vortex might have better coatings/contrast/etc

Comments welcome.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:26:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Albinos lack pigment in their skin.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:49:25 PM EDT
[#2]
can't speak to the hunter, but steiner and swarovski make some dang nice binos.    for the money, i'd take the vortex HDs as they're also very nice and I'm not bird watching.   check the sample list before you buy.  I've got some great deals on demos etc
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:25:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I just picked up the Vortex Diamondbacks, absolutely love them.
I've used them at the range and at a sage grouse lek count so far, worked great.

Also Vortex's warranty is tough to beat, plus they come with the case, neck strap and lens covers, well worth the money
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:04:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the D-backs. I like them well enough but they don't take rough use basically at all. Glass is good and I was able to see what I needed to see when bopping around the BLM doing target shooting. They were plenty to spot motorcycle riders before they came into my AO. I didn't find them exceptional for hunting. Color rendition against the deer around here wasn't the best against the background. Image clarity is there though. YMMV. All in all, I'd probably look at something above the 300 dollar price point if you want something appreciably better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top