Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2015 1:53:40 PM EDT
Looking at picking up a Leupold VX6 3-18x44 TMOA for my 300wm, right now my 300wm isn't set up as a bench rest gun - it's a hunting rifle. 24in mountain barrel, B&C Alaskan II stock.  I have a Nikon Monarch 3 2.5-10 right now on it.

Anyone use one of these yet? Are the caps screw off or some other system?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:30:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:
Looking at picking up a Leupold VX6 3-18x44 TMOA for my 300wm, right now my 300wm isn't set up as a bench rest gun - it's a hunting rifle. 24in mountain barrel, B&C Alaskan II stock.  I have a Nikon Monarch 3 2.5-10 right now on it.

Thanks!
View Quote

i have a vx 6 on my .243 . i have the cds turrets on it .. its a decent scope and should hold up fine on the .300 .

i was going to put it on my .300 for bench stile shooting and have completely talked out of it, mostly for my lack of knowledge.

what are you going to use the rifle for?

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bikerman9967:

i have a vx 6 on my .243 . i have the cds turrets on it .. its a decent scope and should hold up fine on the .300 .

i was going to put it on my .300 for bench stile shooting and have completely talked out of it, mostly for my lack of knowledge.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks!

Elk hunting mostly. Its what I use it for right now as it is, just want better glass.

I'd like to use it for longer range target shooting too.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:48:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bikerman9967] [#3]

Elk hunting mostly. Its what I use it for right now as it is, just want better glass.

View All Quotes

Thanks!

funny you say elk hunting because i came in here asking the very same scope question which would be used for elk as well
i have found way more information in here then i want to know

when i asked the question, i was turned away from the bullet drop compensator (BDC) turrets and reticle scopes. yes they work for hunting , and work pretty well but those type of scopes arnt very effective past say, 4-500 yards. so in turn i was told my vx6 wasn't the best choice for long range.

seems like everyone here runs a ' tactical scope". i hate to use that classification but it works .
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#4]

funny you say elk hunting because i came in here asking the very same scope question which would be used for elk as well

when i asked the question, i was turned away from the bullet drop compensator (BDC) turrets and reticle scopes. yes they work for hunting , and work pretty well but those type of scopes arnt very effective past say, 4-500 yards. so in turn i was told my vx6 wasn't the best choice for long range.

seems like everyone here runs a ' tactical scope". i hate to use that classification but it works .
View All Quotes

Thanks!

I would typically go with a 'tactical' scope, but hunting - things aren't always perfect. Putting it in / out of a scabbard could move the dials, yes - you should check before every shot, but sometimes things run out in front of you.   As well, sometimes the dials can simply be too big and in the way - the scabbard on my ATV is very low profile / little  - would it be a big deal to replace? No. But, I don't want to.  So capped scopes can work out in this situation.

I use a vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 on my 308 AR.   When I build / buy my second 300wm, set up for long range work, it will have a 'tactical' scope on it, but that's a year+ down the road. (Still buying suppressors at the moment.)  I'm looking for something that the glass is A. better then my Nikon. B.  Will get me out to 1000 or so decently.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#5]

I would typically go with a 'tactical' scope, but hunting - things aren't always perfect. Putting it in / out of a scabbard could move the dials, yes - you should check before every shot, but sometimes things run out in front of you.   As well, sometimes the dials can simply be too big and in the way - the scabbard on my ATV is very low profile / little  - would it be a big deal to replace? No. But, I don't want to.  So capped scopes can work out in this situation.

I use a vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 on my 308 AR.   When I build / buy my second 300wm, set up for long range work, it will have a 'tactical' scope on it, but that's a year+ down the road. (Still buying suppressors at the moment.)  I'm looking for something that the glass is A. better then my Nikon. B.  Will get me out to 1000 or so decently.
View All Quotes

Thanks!

i dont think the vx 6 is suitable out to that distance. mine tracks no better then my vx2. the glass is better, but not 1k$ better. honestly cant really see too much of difference in my vx2-vx3 and vx6 as far as glass quality and over all scope quality. to my eye, they seem the same.

the vx6 has 75 moa of adjustment ,  unless im completely wrong you  may need a moa mount to get out to 1000 yards
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:59:32 PM EDT
[#6]
75 moa should be plenty of elevation travel, even with no cant and a zero right in the middle of the turret range for 1000 yards with a 24" 300 win mag.  JBM ballistics shows with 190gr SMK that at 60 degrees, the adjustment would be 28.26 MOA, while he should have 37.5 MOA available on his turret if it were zeroed right in the middle, so around 9 MOA left.  He should actually be able to shoot out to 1100 yards depending on atmospheric conditions.  Not exactly optimal, but it would work if he is set on that scope.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:26:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By kearley83:
75 moa should be plenty of elevation travel, even with no cant and a zero right in the middle of the turret range for 1000 yards with a 24" 300 win mag.  JBM ballistics shows with 190gr SMK that at 60 degrees, the adjustment would be 28.26 MOA, while he should have 37.5 MOA available on his turret if it were zeroed right in the middle, so around 9 MOA left.  He should actually be able to shoot out to 1100 yards depending on atmospheric conditions.  Not exactly optimal, but it would work if he is set on that scope.
View Quote

thanks for the clerification
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:41:09 PM EDT
[#8]
back to the op, id suggest zeiss over leupold as far as a hunting optic. i feel in general leupold is over priced and your not really gaining anything for the extra coin spent.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:07:59 AM EDT
[#9]
back to the op, id suggest zeiss over leupold as far as a hunting optic. i feel in general leupold is over priced and your not really gaining anything for the extra coin spent.
View Quote

Which zeiss models?

I have a leupold VX-3 1.5-5 on my 45-70, I was rather impressed with it's light gathering, especially over my monarch.  I will say I'm open minded, as I have Nikon, Vortex, Leupold and SWFA in my stable right now.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:01:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Although I have not owned one , I have shot a .300 ultra mag with a the conquest hd5. I think it's a 3-15. I liked it a lot.

For some reason I'm just not a leupold guy even though I own a few. The prices are just too high for what your getting Imo. Don't get me wrong, I like their scopes, but in recent years it seems they have really gotten too expensive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top