BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2019 1:43:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stenman]
I've started a 308 build. I have so far:

-AP m5 upper & lower with pk's
-BA 20" modern heavy barrel
-nonbrand NiB bcg(accidental purchase but I'll run with it).

I plan on getting a superlative arms adjustable gas block, likely AP atlas hg or maybe parallax tactical,
and pof anti tilt buffer tube.

What's making me crazy is all the ins and outs that are the buffer springs. I never knew springs could be so complicated. So sprinco and tubbs are both chrome silicon but tubbs is also a flatwire as opposed to traditional round. Jp scs seems to have a superior design over anyone else, however, if they are using traditional wires wouldn't that limit the life of the springs? I'm fascinated by it all but my head is spinning.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 1:46:40 AM EDT
[#1]
FWIW I've never heard of anyone replacing a Silent Spring system.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 3:35:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TXBO] [#3]
I have a precision ar that the recoil impulse seemed to last forever with a traditional buffer and spring.  The sound also drove me crazy.  Put in a silent capture spring and would never go back.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 5:40:33 PM EDT
[#4]
This is the circle i keep running around in. Everyone who has jp springs loves them and are very convincing. It's hard for me to spend $150-$200 on springs when the next best thing is so much less. I'll probably wind up going with it eventually. Maybe i buy both and start another build. I could put on a true test just switch uppers and see how they act with 2 different recoil systems. Its good to have goals right?
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 8:07:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By stenman:
This is the circle i keep running around in. Everyone who has jp springs loves them and are very convincing. It's hard for me to spend $150-$200 on springs when the next best thing is so much less. I'll probably wind up going with it eventually. Maybe i buy both and start another build. I could put on a true test just switch uppers and see how they act with 2 different recoil systems. Its good to have goals right?
View Quote
Before I purchased my first scs I was doing the same thing.  $150+ for what it is seems expensive as all hell.  I found mine *barely* used for $100 and glad I got it.  That being said I have since bought 2 more (1 used 1 new).
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:32:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok i suppose I'm sold on it. After all, a good spring still has to be paired with a good buffer. On a side note, is a 15" handguard too short on a 20" barrel? I'm also torn between a 15" AP handguard and a 17.5-18 inch parallax tactical. The PT is cheap but that also worries me. The price of handguards really throws me off. Its easy to justify prices on most things but a handguard is just a big piece of aluminum. Still necessary but less so than most parts
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 12:19:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok i suppose I'm sold on it. After all, a good spring still has to be paired with a good buffer. On a side note, is a 15" handguard too short on a 20" barrel? I'm also torn between a 15" AP handguard and a 17.5-18 inch parallax tactical. The PT is cheap but that also worries me. The price of handguards really throws me off. Its easy to justify prices on most things but a handguard is just a big piece of aluminum. Still necessary but less so than most parts
View Quote
I have two SCS systems.  One in an AR10 and another in a Maxim Defense pistol brace.  They truly are awesome.   I'm working on a new SPR build and going to try the Vltor A5 system.   If it is not as pleasant as the SCS, I'm going to dump it and get another SCS.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Fired Tubb spring and SCS in same rifle, same day, same ammo. Tubb made a very slight ringing noise, otherwise could not tell them apart. I then invested in Tubb springs and now run them in multiple lowers, including suppressed.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 2:54:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#9]
Originally Posted By AZNetEng:
View Quote
Now you have.  I did.  I was not impressed, certainly not for the price.  A LOT of people don't do side by side testing and evaluation, and just defend their expensive purchases, especially on arfcom.

I replaced my 9mm SCS with a Blitzkrieg/Kynshot 9mm buffer coupled with a JP polished .308 spring, and MUCH prefer the recoil with that system over the JP SCS in 9mm.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 5:23:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NDT3] [#10]
There is also the Geissele Super 42 to consider.

ETA: Oops, I see you are building a .308. I don't think Geissele makes a Super 42 for the AR10. Could be wrong though.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 7:46:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I have several SCS's. I really like them and think they're worth the money.

Comparing them to standard type buffer/spring setups I had, I would go with an SCS anytime. Changing weights and or springs was quick. Tuning for my Creedmoor's went quick and easy. For my Grendel, no real changing or tuning needed.  Even then,  shooting suppressed and not hearing the "sproing" noise was weird at first. You get used to the quiet quickly.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 12:24:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Blazin_Bill:
Fired Tubb spring and SCS in same rifle, same day, same ammo. Tubb made a very slight ringing noise, otherwise could not tell them apart. I then invested in Tubb springs and now run them in multiple lowers, including suppressed.
View Quote
What caliber rifle was it? And what buffer?
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 7:43:12 PM EDT
[#13]
interesting video from the Tubb springs guy.

Everything You Should Know About AR Buffer Springs
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 2:56:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By spartacus2002:
interesting video from the Tubb springs guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fMVZbrnvu8
View Quote
That was impressive. Very informative about the technology and operations.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 11:28:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 12:12:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stenman] [#16]
Ok I'm sold. Going with tubbs. Thanks for all the input
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 5:25:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Judgemax] [#17]
This is probably Captain Obvious advice but here it is anyway no matter which spring you end up with.
My Knight’s owners manual instructs to clean and lube the barrel extension and spring.  I use a 12ga. mop with a section of cotton cloth wrapped around it for the tube.  Make sure the wrap is a lot longer than the mop so it comes back out with the mop.  It gets nasty back there.
Some recommend lubing with grease to keep the system quiet but I wouldn’t.  I don’t want so much crap sticking to the walls and galling the sides as the spring does it’s thing.  I just use a light coat of CLP on the spring and tube.
OCD maybe?
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 10:10:29 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blazin_Bill:
20" 223 DMR. Rifle length tube with standard rifle buffer.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 10:17:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Earnhardt] [#19]
I have both the JP-SCS and a Armaspec Stealth, which are the same design recoil system
The Armaspec is $80
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 11:05:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Earnhardt:
I have both the JP-SCS and a Armaspec Stealth, which are the same design recoil system
The Armaspec is $80
View Quote
I would not call them the same design, other than the fact they are both captured.

The JP uses a single spring and multiple adjustable buffer weights that free float to offer deadblow effect.

The Armaspec is a dual spring 2-stage compression, with a fixed mass weight.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

Now you have.  I did.  I was not impressed, certainly not for the price.  A LOT of people don't do side by side testing and evaluation, and just defend their expensive purchases, especially on arfcom.

I replaced my 9mm SCS with a Blitzkrieg/Kynshot 9mm buffer coupled with a JP polished .308 spring, and MUCH prefer the recoil with that system over the JP SCS in 9mm.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FALARAK:
Originally Posted By AZNetEng:

Precisely my experience.  I was extremely disappointed in the SCS after using the kynshot with JP polished spring.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 12:06:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ghostface] [#22]
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:

I have been plenty happy with the Tubbs Flatwire recoil springs. They do what I need.
View Quote

Indeed, I've put them in every AR-10 and in fact every AR that I own period...
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#23]
The buffer system I use most and have been very happy with consists of:

POF AR-10 7- Position Anti-Tilt Buffer Tube

VLTOR A5 Buffer

Tubb Precision AR-15 Flatwire Buffer Spring
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#24]
The JP SCS is an adjustable system and it’s highly reliable and very well built.  In terms of recoil systems, it’s operating a much higher plane of quality than a standard spring and buffer system, but ov course you’re going to pay for that privilege.  If you’re willing to spend the money on it, get it.  The SCS isn’t just a recoil system, it also adds a certain level of operational smoothness and vibration reduction by getting rid of any spring “twang” you may get during the recoil impulse.  You also don’t have any bolt bounce issues when running with higher pressure loads than what you’re tuned for.  
Sprinco and Tubb springs are just springs, and they’re part of a system.  The buffer is also something that has to be taken into account to match to the spring you select.  A spring alone isn’t just the answer because you have that buffer weight, and there’s also an adjustable gas block as an option if applicable.  All these lead to tuning ability.  So if you properly tune your rifle, it may not be necessary to buy any substantial aftermarket recoil setup so long as you’re not having ejection or feeding issues.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 3:00:15 PM EDT
[#25]
My 1st introduction to the JP SCS was when I was building my 308AR.  I joke because this rifle is now pretty much a JP rifle with a POF upper/lower receiver.  I had a regular rifle spring in the rifle and got SO annoyed with that spring/sprong sound when shooting.  Tried a flat spring and others and it was still there.  Someone told me to try the SCS and after the sticker shock, I just got 1. After that first shot and no damn noise from the spring, I was sold.  Ended up putting a scs in other rifles as well.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 6:46:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Night and day difference when i bought my first SCS.  I now have them in four of my rifles (two of which are full JP builds).   When you pair this with their LMOS and an adjustable gas block it really makes some of the smoothest shooting ARs ive ever shot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top