Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2018 10:22:12 PM EDT
I’m in the process of building a 16” 6.5 Creedmoor on an Aero M5 set. Faxon midlength barrel. I’ll be using a Sentry 7 adjustable gas block and a aac SDN6. Plans also include a mid magnification optic in the 3-15 range.

Who has a 16” Creedmoor and how does it run?
Do you run suppressed?
How far have you shot it?

I have access to a 600 yard range and plan to hunt white tail to 200 yards and hogs to 300 yards.

I’ve read a lot of people say a 16” can’t be done right but a sub $200 barrel isn’t hard to replace if I have too many issues. I can always go longer or swap to 308.

Basically any info would be helpful as far as your experiences and what I should watch out for.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:05:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By TexasTerror:
I'm in the process of building a 16" 6.5 Creedmoor on an Aero M5 set. Faxon midlength barrel. I'll be using a Sentry 7 adjustable gas block and a aac SDN6. Plans also include a mid magnification optic in the 3-15 range.

Who has a 16" Creedmoor and how does it run?
Do you run suppressed?
How far have you shot it?

I have access to a 600 yard range and plan to hunt white tail to 200 yards and hogs to 300 yards.

I've read a lot of people say a 16" can't be done right but a sub $200 barrel isn't hard to replace if I have too many issues. I can always go longer or swap to 308.

Basically any info would be helpful as far as your experiences and what I should watch out for.
View Quote
Bump and tag for info.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:09:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Just ordered a Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18x44 Tremor 3.

Now just need a scope mount, BCG, and gas block and I’ll be able to test it out for myself.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I used a JP caputrued spring system with my 18” barreled AR10 6.5 Creedmoor.  I was having cycling issues with a H2 buffer and spring in a carbine buffer extension.  The heavier spring and buffer assembly now has my rifle ejecting to the 3-4 o’clock.  Good luck with your build.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 5:52:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Just put together an M5E1 with a 16” Faxon barrel and LanTac BCG.

Test fired six different types of ammo, four were 120s since this is intended to be a lightweight hog rifle that can still go the distance.

With 120 eld-m it shoots one hole groups. About the same with the Hornady 120 Hog Hammer load. It’s acting slightly under gassed.

With 140s accuracy drops to over an inch and it fails to eject, confirming the gas issue. Need to play with weights a bit. Gas port is factory standard for Faxon, what ever that is.

Ultimately it will be suppressed 90% of the time, which will resolve the gas situation. I don’t like adjustable blocks.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#5]
The 120 ELD-M was running 2850 over my chrono also.

Not bad at all and better than I was expecting. When the barrel breaks in I should get a 50-75 FPS boost. Handloaded might give another 100 or so.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 6:15:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I need to try some different ammo maybe. I still haven’t made it back to the range
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 12:51:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Any updates? What load did you settle on?

Sounds like a fun rifle.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 1:24:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Oregonian1:
Any updates? What load did you settle on?

Sounds like a fun rifle.
View Quote
Haven’t taken it back to the range. Been shooting indoors with my 556 SBR. Need to get back to the outdoor range and test it with the new buffer spring.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 10:59:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#9]
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 4:48:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:
Remember, IMHO, Large Frame AR's need a decent break in.

The locking lugs and bolt lug edges need to smooth out.

I don't know how many rounds you have run, but allow about 60rds for break-in at least.

Your Faxon barrel should be gas ported properly already for the length. So I don't see an issue with a 16" setup... my friends 12.5 middie .308 runs like a champ... after a little tuning. He also uses a SLR adj. gb and runs a carbine stock, heavier buffer and Tubbs Flatwire .308 recoil spring installed.

I did not see if you were having issues with a specific ammo.

And what recoil set up are you using ?  Weight of buffer and what recoil spring ?

Try firing some of the 140's single loaded in a mag and see if it locks back every time , tune the Adj. GB as needed for proper lock back.
View Quote
I only fired the Hornady black 140 gr. About 40 ish rounds maybe if I recall correctly.

I started my range trip with no can, gas block 1 clock open with mag single loaded. Continued firing one round single loaded and opening gas block until reliable lock back. I think I made it to 6 or 7 clicks on my SLR Sentry gas block. Then I loaded 5 rounds in the mag and the issue started. Any more than 1 round with or without the suppressor would cause a Failure to eject over a new rounds completely crushing the new round.

I am using the aero 308 carbine receiver extension and buffer kit. I have since purchased a sprinco orange buffer spring and while installing it noticed wear marks where the Bolt carrier was damaging the lower at the receiver extension threads.

I have since recoated the damaged area so I can tell if the new buffer stops the damage. I am going to try different ammo next range trip also. Maybe I should buy a heavier buffer as well to test out.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 9:57:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#11]
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 10:10:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:
If the BCG is hitting the lower receiver bridge threads ( and yours is ) ... try putting a 25 cent US quarter in the bottom of the buffer tube as a spacer.. or two. ( To be clear... the quarter goes into the buffer tube down to the bottom, with the recoil spring and buffer over it.

Be sure to leave at minimum 3/16" room at the bolt catch. ( so that the bolt catch spring has time to work correctly )

I found the Orange Sprinco to have excessive power when closing the BCG... as in noticeable muzzle dip , every time the BCG slammed home.

The Tubbs .308 has more spring weight when the bolt is locked closed, and "normal" weight when it cycles.

With your BCG hitting the lower , that is causing a big part of your issue.... after installing the quarters, you might need to slightly re-tune the Adj. GB.
View Quote
Thanks for the help. I’ll give the quarter a try. What is a better long term solution if that works?
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 2:41:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#13]
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#14]
A little update.

Added the Sprinco orange buffer spring and extractor upgrade. Function tested today with 4 different factory loads. With and without suppressor and everything went GREAT. No issues at all. I’m very pleased and glad it was an easy fix.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 1:55:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I almost went down this path.  But finally decided 6.5 Grendel makes more sense if I want lighter weight and compact.  Just my 2 cents, and i'm still a big 6.5 CM fan, so curious about the updates on your project.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 11:15:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
I almost went down this path.  But finally decided 6.5 Grendel makes more sense if I want lighter weight and compact.  Just my 2 cents, and i'm still a big 6.5 CM fan, so curious about the updates on your project.
View Quote
I have a 16” Grendel as well and I will say it is a much lighter weight package. I had bought these M5 receivers years ago and couldn’t bring myself to get rid of them so I had to build them out.

Now that it’s running great I plan to try some different factory loads to see what it likes best.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 4:33:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mr_Toyz] [#17]
Interesting side note on 16” 6.5 creed gas guns.
Knights will be fielding the SR25 in 6.5 with a 14.5” and 16” barrels. Their clients have decided is an effective 1200yard do it all package.
Shot the 16” to 1200 at PRE. One impact after another.
Very cool
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 6:22:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Mr_Toyz:
Interesting side note on 16” 6.5 creed gas guns.
Knights will be fielding the SR25 in 6.5 with a 14.5” and 16” barrels. Their clients have decided is an effective 1200yard do it all package.
Shot the 16” to 1200 at PRE. One impact after another.
Very cool
View Quote
I'm curious what ammo.  Depending on load,  my 20" was going subsonic close to 1200 yards
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#19]
They were using Berger 140 hybrid
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top